AMD Releases Open-Source UVD Video Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by arekm View Post
    I've played with UVD on my E-350 APU and I'm quite happy with the results. Tested with mplayer (mplayer -vo vdpau -vc ffh264vdpau)
    and also with new vdpau xbmc code. 1080p movies are now playing fine.

I also tested adobe flash plugin with
    OverrideGPUValidation = 1
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    option sset and had render *and* decode hardware accelerated! 1080p youtube was now playing nicely where before I was able to watch 480p only.

vdpauinfo reports such capabilities:

Decoder capabilities:

name level macbs width height
    -------------------------------------------
    MPEG1 16 1048576 16384 16384
    MPEG2_SIMPLE 16 1048576 16384 16384
    MPEG2_MAIN 16 1048576 16384 16384
    H264_BASELINE 16 9216 2048 1152
    H264_MAIN 16 9216 2048 1152
    H264_HIGH 16 9216 2048 1152
    VC1_SIMPLE 16 9216 2048 1152
    VC1_MAIN 16 9216 2048 1152
    VC1_ADVANCED 16 9216 2048 1152
    MPEG4_PART2_SP 16 9216 2048 1152
    MPEG4_PART2_ASP 16 9216 2048 1152
    Thanks for testing! Will get on with testing right away as well What puzzles me however is how did You get MPEG4_PART2 to report as detected. From what I have read it is part of the UDV3 which was not part of the code drop. That would probably require an explanation here from AMD guys.

And how about asked about earlier in the thread deinterlance support? It would be great if that worked as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryszardzonk View Post
      Thanks for testing! Will get on with testing right away as well What puzzles me however is how did You get MPEG4_PART2 to report as detected. From what I have read it is part of the UDV3 which was not part of the code drop. That would probably require an explanation here from AMD guys.

And how about asked about earlier in the thread deinterlance support? It would be great if that worked as well.
      the drop was UVD2 and superior aka from Radeon HD 4000 series upto Radeon HD 7000 series(southern island), the code that didn't land was UVD1

Comment

• Originally posted by artivision View Post
        Anyway thanks for the UVD support, but GPUs are all about gaming.
        Games are for children. Games do not make the world work. Games are a pointless waste of time. Totally irrelevant.

Comment

• Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
          the drop was UVD2 and superior aka from Radeon HD 4000 series upto Radeon HD 7000 series(southern island), the code that didn't land was UVD1
          so it was UDV2 + UDV3 then right? From what I understood it was more like UDV2 stuff working on HD 4000 and up but not UDV3

Comment

First off, you're reading wikipedia.
            Second, it doesn't say that mpeg4part2 was introduced in uvd3, it says that h263 was introduced in uvd3, and that this support was via something (mpeg4part2) that perhaps existed before uvd3.
            Third, E350, I think, is UVD3.

Do you know what post-processing is? UVD doesn't do post processing. UVD does Decoding.
            Last edited by droidhacker; 05 April 2013, 04:06 PM.

Comment

• Cool. Now what would be a nice fanless board supported by this driver for running XBMC?

Comment

• And how about asked about earlier in the thread deinterlance support? It would be great if that worked as well.
                Any information about deinterlacing capabilities would really be appreciated

Comment

• Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  First off, you're reading wikipedia.
                  source just as good as any other and unlike on most if You saw any omissions or wrong content perhaps it could be wise to make use of that edit button
                  Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                  Second, it doesn't say that mpeg4part2 was introduced in uvd3, it says that h263 was introduced in uvd3, and that this support was via something (mpeg4part2) that perhaps existed before uvd3.
                  yes I stay corected. mpeg4part2 probably was introduced earlier and with UDV3 only extended, however IMHO question still remains and hence I repeat it. I did not ask if the code is working on UDV3 machines as it has been said many times it does but does it accelerate stuff that has been introduced with UDV3
                  Third, E350, I think, is UVD3.
                  yes hardware supports it.
                  Do you know what post-processing is? UVD doesn't do post processing. UVD does Decoding.
                  So what that it is part of something else then decoding? Others like Nvidia and Intel do deinterlancing part of post-processing on the dedicated video engines and my question just as well as others was does AMD do that or not. It would be great if it did as the thread shows I am not only one that would like to know...

Comment

• Thread going down hill fast!

In any event a real big thank you to all of the people at AMD involved in this release.

A few suggestions for further announcements on Phoronix:
                    Strive to publish a list of all supported chips/architectures from the beginning. It would minimize a lot of postings in the forums.
                    Publish links to the relevant code in a clear manner. Some of us don't follow AMD that closely that we have links to all of the open source sites handy and frankly AMDs main web site sucks royally when trying to find information.
                    Related to the above, lobby management at AMD to clean up their main web site. It use to be rather easy to find support areas for documentation and product offerings. The last time I was there looking for APU information it was one brick wall after another. In that case I was looking for E-Series/BRAZOS info. The site is in general hostile to technical users. (As a side note this was several months ago).
                    Items 1-3 above highlight the fact that many of us have very long periods between hardware purchases where our interests in following technology slides. When it comes time to look for new hardware excessive friction trying to find relevant information can cause people to find the smoother path.

Comment

So what that it is part of something else then decoding? Others like Nvidia and Intel do deinterlancing part of post-processing on the dedicated video engines and my question just as well as others was does AMD do that or not. It would be great if it did as the thread shows I am not only one that would like to know...
                      Deinterlacing is part of VDPAU. I think the mesa vdpau state tracker should handle it (through post-processing shaders), but i can't say i've ever tested it or know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                      X