Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 19 Readies AMD "RadeonSI" Driver

Phoronix: Fedora 19 Readies AMD "RadeonSI" Driver

Fedora 19 will be one of the first desktop Linux distributions shipping with accelerated Radeon HD 7000 series graphics support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Hmmm. F19 already already seems to have xorg 1.14.0., but according to https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58910, glamor still fails to build with 1.14.0.

Has it already been decided which versions of mesa / kernel / llvm Fedora plans to ship with F19?
    Maybe pre 9.2/10, 3.9, pre 3.3?

Comment

When we talk about "accelerated" support, what does that mean in concrete?
      30% of the binary bob performance?

Edit: My bad, I misunderstood the article. What is meant with "accelerated" is Xorg itself through glamor.
      Last edited by Ancurio; 29 March 2013, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I would have expected GL acceleration as well. Did you find a statement that only X was going to be accelerated ?
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by Ancurio View Post
          When we talk about "accelerated" support, what does that mean in concrete?
          30% of the binary bob performance?

Edit: My bad, I misunderstood the article. What is meant with "accelerated" is Xorg itself through glamor.
          The last time one of the ATI devs posted here on the forums he said quite bluntly that games were working just fine under RadeonSI. I see no reason to believe that F19 would ship with anything less.
          All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
            I would have expected GL acceleration as well. Did you find a statement that only X was going to be accelerated ?
            I didn't say "only X". I initially thought the article was about "accelerated SI drivers" in general,
            but realized it was specifically about leveraging the existing work through glamor to benefit X from it as well.
            Or did I miss something again?

Comment

AFAIK most distros (perhaps all) have only been enabling KMS support for SI, along with the shadowfb-based "modesetting" X driver (no HW acceleration) and a software-rendering GL driver (ditto).

The point of the article AFAIK is that F19 will be enabling both X (via Glamor) and GL acceleration by default. The potentially confusing thing is that Jerome's specific request related only to the addition of Glamor, presumably since Mesa is already part of Fedora while the article talked about accelerating both X and GL.

The reason that GL doesn't get accelerated without X acceleration is that putting the frame buffer in GPU memory (to make GL acceleration fast) has the unfortunate side effect of making software-rendered X really slow (much slower than the shadowfb logic used in the "modesetting" driver. If X rendering is also being done by the GPU then you don't have that problem.
              Last edited by bridgman; 29 March 2013, 12:57 PM.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by fa5hion View Post
                Has it already been decided which versions of mesa / kernel / llvm Fedora plans to ship with F19?
                Maybe pre 9.2/10, 3.9, pre 3.3?
                The kernel is in the rolling release part of Fedora anyway.
                They would have to patch mesa-9.1 to build against llvm-3.3 so that combination does not make much sense. So they probably either ship mesa-9.1 and patched llvm-3.2, or mesa-9.2 git snapshot and llvm-3.3 svn snapshot.

The latter seems not unlikely to me, as not so many Fedora packages besides Mesa depend on LLVM (opengtl, dragonegg, anything else?).

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                  The kernel is in the rolling release part of Fedora anyway.
                  They would have to patch mesa-9.1 to build against llvm-3.3 so that combination does not make much sense. So they probably either ship mesa-9.1 and patched llvm-3.2, or mesa-9.2 git snapshot and llvm-3.3 svn snapshot.

The latter seems not unlikely to me, as not so many Fedora packages besides Mesa depend on LLVM (opengtl, dragonegg, anything else?).
                  Everything in Fedora gets 1 major upgrade in that release's lifetime. From kernel to mesa to KDE. So they could ship mesa 9.1 and upgrade to 9.2 upon release. Same with kernel, they'll ship 3.9 and upgrade to 3.10. But not 3.11 (or 4.0 depending on how Linus is feeling)
                  All opinions are my own not those of my employer if you know who they are.

Comment

Originally posted by fa5hion View Post
                    Hmmm. F19 already already seems to have xorg 1.14.0., but according to https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=58910, glamor still fails to build with 1.14.0.
                    glamor builds fine on Gentoo with xorg 1.14.0 and mesa-9.1.1, so the problem could be Mandriva specific.

Comment

Working...
                    X