No announcement yet.

Why I Love AMD and Why You Need To Stop Whining

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First of all there is not "close to specs for OpenGL". That's because OpenGL doesn't have specs at all, only extensions. It's the opposite of D3D, its extensible. If many vendors support finally an extension, it becomes a standard. That we call hacks are just better handling between extensions. That's because some of them maybe have wrong cooperation due to incompatible design (of an extension against another) in the first place. When we are using to-GLSL translation we need as more of them, that's why Nvidia wins here. If vendors want to help as then make your driver to run (native) HLSL compilers like MS_D3D via Wine and without translation. Its not possible for one to say that his rasterizer is unified, wile doesn't run native D3D, or during translation a valid D3D situation is not valid (or efficient) for OpenGL, that's impossible. And there is not a single reason for a rasterizer not to be unified, except for a cartel(mafia) deal with MS. As i see it, the firs to run native MS_D3D via Wine, wins everything. I propose to vendors to see that (especially Intel) and do the right thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander View Post
      To get things out in the open, i was running about all my computers AMD all over. Was running AMD on 5970 and then 6970 and also 6370 (laptop).
      Issue 1...
      My 2c:
      I have 5 pcs with AMD graphics running Linux: 6930 (dual monitor), 5850 (dual monitor), 7770, 6650M on laptop and Radeon 6310 (AMD E-350). I have only one issue with 6930: since upgrading Catalyst to 12.10 TF2 is uplayable. Everything else works just fine, I never had any X.org crashes, mouse corruption or anything.

Comment

If AMD *would* have an actual bug report system I certainly would report bugs. But that system that is always linked is just a dumpster. I've never seen an actual response from AMD on there and bugs are not fixed even if they're easy to reproduce on all systems. And to be honest, it's not *that* hard to set up an actual bug report system. Even Canonical managed to do that.

Also I wonder what they think you want to do with a dedicated GPU?! Obviously gaming (well, or Bitcoin calculation...), else one would just take an IGP. And what do they do? Yes, they suck at everything speed related.

Comment

Originally posted by niniendowarrior View Post
          I thought I'd chime in on this one. The last AMD/ATi hardware I bought for a while now was the x800 Pro and my experience with fglrx was nothing short of abysmal. It went to the point that I had to hose my Redhat install to fix my system. Since then, I've steered very much clearly away from their stuff.

That being said, I bought an HP Pavilion that came with the AMD hardware and the first thing I notice is that the open source driver makes the fan all noisy and chews up power like a hungry beast. Then I had issues with fglrx and my xorg version (1.13) until I grabbed the beta drivers. Since then, the power consumption seems OK and I can run fgl_glxgears now. LOL. I haven't tried the intel switchable graphics partially out of fear, but if anyone has experience on it, I'd like to hear them.

There is enough documentation for most Linux people to navigate through the AMD nightmare, but I think AMD drivers will always play catch up to nVIDIA. I care about driver performance and AMD's fglrx drivers seems to always have something to complain about. Just five minutes ago, my laptop hit screen saver and when I tried to reactivate it, only the second screen would activate. Go figure. Just the way it has to be with AMD.
          I have a hp pavillion dv6-6023TX with intel i5-2410m and AMD Radeon HD 6770M and just like you said I also had problems with the drivers.
          The open source drivers ran way too hot - and also noisy. I didn't like that so next.
          I tried the proprietary drivers from amd. Hopeless. Pathetic. I tried everything. Compiling, reinstalling, lots of different ways. This was a year ago so I don't remeber all the details.
          Finaly I tracked down a bug and reported and it ended up as bug number 249 on the list. I got the impersion that nothing was going to get done about it.
          0.o Enough of that.
          Next I tried the integrated card.
          I found these instructions and they work like a charm. Check it out. I'm soo glad I found this. Gotta love how after all the trouble this works so well

Add this to /etc/rc.local above the 'exit 0' line (e.g. sudo nano /etc/rc.local from the terminal):
          Code:
          modprobe radeon
          echo OFF > /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

And then add this to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-local.conf, also as sudo:
          Code:
          blacklist fglrx

Reboot. Verify by doing the following:
          Code:
          sudo cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch

You should see something like this:
          Code:
          0:IGD:+:Pwr:0000:00:02.0
          1IS: :Off:0000:01:00.0

IGD is the Intel chip, the + means it's the one in use, and Pwr means it's on.
          DIS is the ATI card and if it says Off, you're saving a ton of battery.
          Tada!! Also if you use ubuntu 12.10 then you're going to want to enable these to save you heaps of power (apparently they were disabled because of stability issues on some hardware but I havent had any trouble with that).
          In your /etc/default/grub there is a line that says
          to /etc/default/grub so that it looks like this: GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
          Change that to this: (I used sudo gedit /etc/default/grub)
          GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 pcie aspm=force"
          Dont forget to sudo update-grub and reboot.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
            If AMD *would* have an actual bug report system I certainly would report bugs. But that system that is always linked is just a dumpster. I've never seen an actual response from AMD on there and bugs are not fixed even if they're easy to reproduce on all systems. And to be honest, it's not *that* hard to set up an actual bug report system. Even Canonical managed to do that.
            A bugtracker wouldn't change a lot, as stuff wouldn't get fixed anyway. Even stuff reported since months and years on their Beta mailing list does not get fixed - most stuff doesn't even get a response.

Comment

Originally posted by Caledar View Post
              Also if you use ubuntu 12.10 then you're going to want to enable these to save you heaps of power (apparently they were disabled because of stability issues on some hardware but I havent had any trouble with that).
              Well, it has crashed since I applied the settings a few times now, but only when my little brother is playing minecraft. :/

Comment

Why all the hate?

I don't get all the AMD hate. I've just gone back to linux (from OS X) and am now running the latest beta Catalyst, and everything seems to be working just dandy. I run a handful of steam games (SS3, CS Source, Bastion, Trine 2, HL, Shank 2) without much issue. I won't say NO issue, because there are some, but the same is true of nvidia and intel.

There's really only two main things I wish AMD would sort out with their linux drivers. First, feature parity with Windows. Second, polish (no watermark on beta, no weird default settings like underscan, etc.) Other than that, I think they're doing a pretty good job with steadily improving their linux drivers. (Oh yeah, how about useful change logs?)

Comment

Originally posted by molecule-eye View Post
                  I don't get all the AMD hate. I've just gone back to linux (from OS X) and am now running the latest beta Catalyst, and everything seems to be working just dandy. I run a handful of steam games (SS3, CS Source, Bastion, Trine 2, HL, Shank 2) without much issue. I won't say NO issue, because there are some, but the same is true of nvidia and intel.
                  Intel drivers are opensource.
                  Nvidia has no issues.

AMD is closed source and broken.

Comment

Originally posted by brosis View Post
                    Intel drivers are opensource.
                    Nvidia has no issues.

AMD is closed source and broken.
                    Intel, except for the GMA500 and 600 series, are open source. And they still continue to manufacture chips with PowerVR graphics, so that first statement is false.

The second statement is very false too, all drivers have issues. While Nvidia may have fewer issues, they community approach has been literally nil after nv was dumped.
                    AMD at least has the decency to contribute to their open source driver effort, something which Nvidia refuses to do.

And there is always the radeon option, if closed source is an issue for you, which it appears not since you have no problem with Nvidia being closed source.

Comment

Originally posted by intellivision View Post
                      Intel, except for the GMA500 and 600 series, are open source. And they still continue to manufacture chips with PowerVR graphics, so that first statement is false.
                      GMA500/600 is not Intel.

The second statement is very false too, all drivers have issues. While Nvidia may have fewer issues, they community approach has been literally nil after nv was dumped.
                      AMD at least has the decency to contribute to their open source driver effort, something which Nvidia refuses to do.
                      Bug fix speed for Intel is ~14 days. They are the driving force behind opensource and especially behind opengl. They work very hard with community and drivers are superb.
                      Nvidia is virtually bug-free. They also don't need community since their driver is superb.

This is especially accurate if one uses last generation hardware. The quality of the driver for last generation hardware broadcasts the simple message of "Yes, we want you to buy our hardware, hence we work on the drivers hard".
                      Intel - success. Nvidia - success. AMD - closed source more/less stabilized, opensource HD7xxx - fail. Hardware is available since over a year.

And there is always the radeon option, if closed source is an issue for you, which it appears not since you have no problem with Nvidia being closed source.
                      Yes, closed source - fail, opensource fail. There is always an option to use Intel or nvidia.

Comment

Working...
                      X