AMD Radeon Gallium3D Starting To Out-Run Catalyst In Some Cases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    Reading comprehension issues? How is it obsolete when it can keep up with current hardware (ok, maybe not with your "mine is the largest" 7970x2, but who cares?). I am running latest shit with 1080p on it.
    If the hardware is working for you and you don't feel held back by the hardware, then great... keep what you've got. With the way that r600g and the other OSS drivers are progressing, you'll probably keep getting free performance/stability upgrades for a while yet.

My last few upgrades have been motivated not by performance, but by power consumption. A 7750/7770 can probably outperform a 4850, and the load power consumption is 55-80w on the 7750/7770 vs 110w on the 4850. The idle power consumption is also vastly improved on the newer generations.

It also helps that I was moving cross-country, and managed to sell off my old 4770 before moving in order to pick up its replacement

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      My last few upgrades have been motivated not by performance, but by power consumption. A 7750/7770 can probably outperform a 4850, and the load power consumption is 55-80w on the 7750/7770 vs 110w on the 4850. The idle power consumption is also vastly improved on the newer generations.
      Yes, that's true. I needed a new PSU for my HTPC, and bought a fairly low-end one, but I found out that my upgraded rig for the main PC is so energy efficient now that I ended up installing the lower-end PSU to my main PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
        He does it literally everything single time someone capitalizes the T in Qt. Like I get it, It is technically Qt and QT is either nothing at all, or QuickTime depending on where you are. But It really is unnecessary, asdx :P
        I know. But it brightened my day to see it happen here, with the post having so many logical fallacies, he only had to point out the Qt capitalization.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
          If the hardware is working for you and you don't feel held back by the hardware, then great... keep what you've got. With the way that r600g and the other OSS drivers are progressing, you'll probably keep getting free performance/stability upgrades for a while yet.

It also helps that I was moving cross-country, and managed to sell off my old 4770 before moving in order to pick up its replacement
          Different use cases I guess. I am not running 4850 idle, got a low power machine(laptop) for that.

My point is, that I see zero motivation to move to latest gen, when a mid range GPU (which I would target) is just about as fast as the 4 years old card I've got.

And especially when the 8xxx versions are just re-branded 7xxx cards.

Oh and what about this 8350 crap, that seems to be a re-branded 5450. This is what I would call insanity.

Well done AMD!

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
            r600g supports VDPAU. It's a bit experimental at the moment, but it generally does work. Mind you, since it's an HTPC, I accelerate mostly TV streams, and that means MPEG2. The support for H.264 is a bit poor in that some colours are mismatched, last time I checked, but it should be fixed eventually.
            Wow. Thank you sir. I tought VDPAU is only for NVIDIA hardware. I'm going to further investigate this and see what can I get from my vide card.

Comment

Originally posted by fioan89 View Post
              I tought VDPAU is only for NVIDIA hardware.
              Nope. It's just that NVIDIA developed it, so naturally the NVIDIA blob uses that. Intel developed VA-API, so the Intel drivers use that. AMD developed neither, so they just stuck with XvBA. And Nouveau and Radeon developers are free to choose whatever they see fit, as both VA-API and VDPAU are open. And then there are wrappers - XvBA can be used as a backend for VA-API, and so can VDPAU.

So, all in all, if you have Intel, you can use VA-API; if you have NVIDIA, you can use VDPAU and VA-API; if you have AMD, you can use either XvBA and VA-API or VDPAU and VA-API, depending on whether you use the blob or the OSS drivers.

Comment

Working...
              X