No announcement yet.

AMD Has Open-Source Driver For HD 8000 Series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think most of the mess comes down to 2D, which uses glamor that doesn't work too well, has compatibility issues and isn't feature complete (e.g. no xvideo).

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      Mesa-git (9.1?) or a Work-In-Progress branch? Like when 9.1 hits will it be fairly usable or do you mean that a developer has good, working, support in a separate branch and we're looking at 9.2/10.0?
      Support is in the mesa 9.1 branch and git master. The level of functionality is the same as the chips already supported by radeonsi.

Comment

Gj AMD.

How is chatchup game going? Are you satisfy with the date you can start on hardware enabelment? Or will you start 9xxx even earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
          radeonsi support coming along nicely. Desktop effects and a lot of games are working well. I don't know why Michael keeps saying it's a mess.
          Beginner's question from my side: What is needed to use a Radeon 7x50 card on Linux? Is a Ubuntu 13.04 okay or will I need to upgrade mesa/drivers/kernel manually from git? What about Ubuntu 12.04?

Comment

Originally posted by Asariati View Post
            Beginner's question from my side: What is needed to use a Radeon 7x50 card on Linux? Is a Ubuntu 13.04 okay or will I need to upgrade mesa/drivers/kernel manually from git? What about Ubuntu 12.04?
            Well, as the article says, you could use a Radeon 7x50 card on Linux from day one thanks to Catalyst (just pointing this out as your wording did call for it). As for the free driver support, I am not sure. I doubt it would work properly with Ubuntu 12.04 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              Well, as the article says, you could use a Radeon 7x50 card on Linux from day one thanks to Catalyst (just pointing this out as your wording did call for it). As for the free driver support, I am not sure. I doubt it would work properly with Ubuntu 12.04 though.
              My question was about the OSS driver of course. No need to update mesa for Catalyst from git, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Asariati View Post
                My question was about the OSS driver of course. No need to update mesa for Catalyst from git, I think.
                You could probably get the latest mesa etc from git(or PPA) on Ubuntu 12.04 was well, if you are to go down that path.

Comment

From the article:

[...] with the new "RadeonSI" Gallium3D driver it's been very slow to develop. Basic OpenGL demos will run on the HD 7000 series hardware, but not much more [...]
                  Michael, will you please stop repeating this lie?

OpenGL 2.1 functionality is shaping up pretty nicely in radeonsi for the Mesa 9.1 release. Over the last couple of days, I've tested games such as Open Arena, Red Eclipse, Tremulous, Nexuiz (with a pending LLVM R600 backend fix) and many more, and we're approaching 95% pass rate for piglit.

If you have trouble reproducing these results, please ask on the mailing lists or on IRC. The normal support channels are open to you just like anyone else, you know.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
                    From the article:

Michael, will you please stop repeating this lie?

OpenGL 2.1 functionality is shaping up pretty nicely in radeonsi for the Mesa 9.1 release. Over the last couple of days, I've tested games such as Open Arena, Red Eclipse, Tremulous, Nexuiz (with a pending LLVM R600 backend fix) and many more, and we're approaching 95% pass rate for piglit.

If you have trouble reproducing these results, please ask on the mailing lists or on IRC. The normal support channels are open to you just like anyone else, you know.
                    How do you estimate performance levels? Is LLVM shader compiler enables you to approach performance of fgrlx?

Comment

AMD really has to review its release process. Let's start with a fact: the main uses of the open source radeon driver are modesetting and 2D (and I mean display the desktop with better performance then a cirrus card). 3D is not really an option and you can also live without compositing. Gaming is not even allowed in dreams. This will not change anytime soon.

With this release process AMD is missing even those 2 basic use: they missed linux 3.8 and it is up to distribution now to backport the work. Ok it should not be a very hard process, but still I think it is silly. That's why I think it is fine to have the 3D driver missing (I said missing, not present but a mess for the user), but with KMS, at least, working. This way a user can install his/her distro of choice and, if needed, migrate to fglrx. If basic KMS is not working the user is left more or less in the dark and the installation can be a russian roulette. And don't say you can use the alternate installation method, Joe User doesn't really know about it and I don't think he should use it anyway.

Also let's not talk about the fact you need a nuclear plant to run your AMD card if you run the radeon driver, cause powersave is a mess... and not even automatic! Joe User doesn't know about /sys fs.

And be sure to understand: the problem is the open source radeon team is only 5 full time developers. If AMD is not going to change this, AMD hardware will keep being a mess. And the legal team is not really helping either.

Comment

Working...
                      X