Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I install always ia32-libs{-gtk} to make the gui tools run, but the kernel module itself should not require it, as you say: runtime only, that part is not compiled.

Comment

• Originally posted by enzobelmont View Post
      what I expect from 8.42 is:

- a slighly better performance than 8.41 (some more FPS).
      -AIGLX support.
      -stability.

is that impossible??

optionally (i think this will not be included in this release):
      -latest xorg support.
      -latest kerrnel support.
      -multiple screens support.
      -a working control center.
      when i said few hours, i was talking of 40 hours approx (maybe less).

sorry my english...
      If that is what you want, I think you will be happy with v8.42. If it does not contain new Kernel support as Michael mentioned, you can easily patch the 2.6.23 Support in it with Kanos new script + the 2.6.23 Patches from Sabayon.

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
        yeah, just on 32bit distros. on 64bit you cannot even compile it unless you have gcc 3 installed (which is pretty impossibile).
        Just not true. It works fine.

ahahah... dream on little boy... the latest kernel was released after the feature add of this release was finished. the only thing that you could hope is xorg7.3 and xorg-server 1.4 support which were released about a week before of the latest kernel and if i'm correct that was still during the feature add phase.
        but for this assertion to be right we need someone to confirm it. unfortunately all devs have ndas with amd/ati and it's quite probable that we'll have to wait for the driver to be released to have such info from them.
        anyway, i just have to say that in the last period the driver had quite some progress. and with the oss radeonhd project things seem to go for a better support.
        You are really wrong about this, 2.6.23 kernel support
        is not the thing to worry about (that even works without
        a problem for 8.40.4), xorg-server-1.4 is the thing to
        worry about and I have my doubts, that 8.42 will support it.
        (Hopefully they will.)
        Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
        nope. i cannot install 8.41.7 on amd64 arch with gentoo and gcc4.1.2 installed. the kernel is new and compiled with 4.1.2 and i don't even have gcc3 installed if not for the libstdc++-3 which is a runtime dependency for the driver. i always get a libstdc++ error.
        Install emul-linux-x86-compat.
        Compiling the ati drivers with the newest kernel and
        the newest Toolchain (gcc-4.2.2+binutils-2.18+glibc-2.6.1)
        works like charm. If it doesn't work for you, you've
        got a problem, maybe you want to remerge the deps.
        What error do you actually get?
        (Make sure you've got sandbox-2.18.1-r1 installed, that
        will clear out the sandbox violations most users get
        with 2.6.23 kernel.)

Originally posted by Kano View Post
        Well I install always ia32-libs{-gtk} to make the gui tools run, but the kernel module itself should not require it, as you say: runtime only, that part is not compiled.
        Not needed, since 8.40.4 there is a 64bit version of
        the CCC. There are a few 32bit libs needed, but they
        are not needed for the gui.

Comment

• Well my script is generic for all drivers, therefore i just install it anyway...

Comment

• Just not true. It works fine.
            not for me. the 8.40.4 didn't compiled much and it still works with sandbox violations but compiles under 2.6.23.
            8.41.7 simply doesn't compile (if i have understand what it does it compiles the kernel module which 8.40.4 had compiled) raising an error about some stdlibc++-3 error.

Install emul-linux-x86-compat.
            Compiling the ati drivers with the newest kernel and
            the newest Toolchain (gcc-4.2.2+binutils-2.18+glibc-2.6.1)
            works like charm.
            i have been having them for quite some time and i couldn't compile it. i don't really want to reinstall the toolchain so there's no way that i will retry it. the other xf86 packages were updated with the stable ones recently. so the problems aren't the deps, but the libstdc++-3. i have compiled and recompiled it instead of compiling completely gcc3 but this does not let me install the 8.41.

What error do you actually get?
            i don't really remember since i've tried it about 2 or 3 weeks ago, but i remember it has raised an error that was raised in phoronix forums somewhere. and to say it, i don't care since i'll now wait for the 8.42 and install that version with an official amd64 unstable ebuild.

ia32-libs{-gtk}
            this is an intel-64 specific package and i own an amd64.

Comment

• firegl

the most important thing to me is for my Mobility FireGL V5200 to work properly without any hacks.

guess I have to wait one more month for 8.43

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
                not for me. the 8.40.4 didn't compiled much and it still works with sandbox violations but compiles under 2.6.23.
                8.41.7 simply doesn't compile (if i have understand what it does it compiles the kernel module which 8.40.4 had compiled) raising an error about some stdlibc++-3 error.

i have been having them for quite some time and i couldn't compile it. i don't really want to reinstall the toolchain so there's no way that i will retry it. the other xf86 packages were updated with the stable ones recently. so the problems aren't the deps, but the libstdc++-3. i have compiled and recompiled it instead of compiling completely gcc3 but this does not let me install the 8.41.
                I've got the feeling, that you've got a broken toolchain.
                Do you have a lot of other errors with different other
                packages? Sandbox errors related to kernel 2.6.23 are
                fixed in sandbox version 2.18.1-r1 and have nothing to
                do with ati (they are gcc related).

Maybe you should rebuild your toolchain. See gentoo
                forums for a howto to do this.

Comment

• Does someone really thing that a package with amd64 in the name does not run on Intel (with lm support) and vice versa? The CPUs are more or less the same, just different in the latest SSE extensions or that 3dnow thingy, that was used by AMD (and never Intel)...

Comment

• I there any sort of official bug report system for the fglrx drivers? Ever since >8.29.x of the fglrx driver I have not been able to enter Xorg if I also have a framebuffer enabled at boot time. When X tries to load I get a PreInitDal error. I figured out that if I run 'vbetool vgamode' or 'vbetool vbemode 0' or anything that would change the state of the video card X would start properly. This obviously is a less an optimal fix and I want to report this to someone. I have a ATI Radeon Mobility PCIe X1600.

Comment

• So I guess today is not the day.

Comment

Working...
                      X