This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
    i don't like xgl, since it's damn slow.... i had from a min of 7fps to 85fps with xgl-beryl running the last time that i tried it. then i had a problem that would have driven me mad at every startup: first it would have tried aixgl, then switch to xgl, then switch to default kwin after about 2 minutes, then switch again to xgl after 1 more minute giving me buggy textures. after that to use xgl i would have to reset kwin and then manually select xgl.
    another problem is that i hate gnome (that is more and more awful after the mono-evolution-beagle-gnome integration) so ubuntu for me wouldn't work.
    the last problem is that kubuntu is awful. i run gentoo i have a fully customized and optimized system on which i can install everything i want. on kubuntu i couldn't do it. compiling firefox for example it would have been a nightmare (i wasn't able to do it with only qt and no gtk since ubuntu/kubuntu doesn't have a qtdevelop package or at least i wasn't able to find it); i tried also to install ndiswrapper with no luck of making it work.
    but this is not the discussion to start a distro war, so i want to close this digression before it starts.
    so, reading that the new "answer to the fundamental question driver" is expected to support aiglx i'd like to know if it will really do it for my board too.
    Ubuntu never used beagle, for indexed search it is only now using tracker. The only things installed by default that are mono dependent are f-spot and tomboy notes, which can easily be removed. I also know for a fact that the lead ubuntu developers including Mark Shuttlworth openly hate mono and just include the two apps mentioned because they are exceptional. Ubuntu is pretty much a 100% python and C shop on the gnome side of things.

I also know qtdevelop has been in the main repos at lest since 5.10, when I started using ubuntu. So I don't know where you were looking. Furthermore any problem you have with ndiswrapper is pretty independent of any distro, ubuntu actually will set it up though the restricted driver manager now.

If you just don't like ubuntu that's fine and dandy, but pretty much everything you just complained about is false, that's all.

Comment

i don't like xgl, since it's damn slow.... i had from a min of 7fps to 85fps with xgl-beryl running the last time that i tried it. then i had a problem that would have driven me mad at every startup: first it would have tried aixgl, then switch to xgl, then switch to default kwin after about 2 minutes, then switch again to xgl after 1 more minute giving me buggy textures. after that to use xgl i would have to reset kwin and then manually select xgl.
      another problem is that i hate gnome (that is more and more awful after the mono-evolution-beagle-gnome integration) so ubuntu for me wouldn't work.
      the last problem is that kubuntu is awful. i run gentoo i have a fully customized and optimized system on which i can install everything i want. on kubuntu i couldn't do it. compiling firefox for example it would have been a nightmare (i wasn't able to do it with only qt and no gtk since ubuntu/kubuntu doesn't have a qtdevelop package or at least i wasn't able to find it); i tried also to install ndiswrapper with no luck of making it work.
      but this is not the discussion to start a distro war, so i want to close this digression before it starts.
      so, reading that the new "answer to the fundamental question driver" is expected to support aiglx i'd like to know if it will really do it for my board too.
      Let me first say that I registered to phoronix to answer this post. It's not that big of a deal, I follow the thread and articles with interest here but this kind of bothered me.

Flat out, on an average computer the difference between an 'optimized' gentoo and latest ubuntu is unnoticeable. I've used gentoo for years and I know what I'm talking about, so let's not clutter this thread with false claims and rants.

Comment

• So, I guess, no driver for another two days. I don't want to be modded / banned so I won't post any assumptions

Anyway, look at the Radeon HD driver, what dedicated developers were able to produce in such a small amount of time - and look at fglrx, which is produced by a huge company (for our money, of course) for several years...

Comment

• Originally posted by Morlyn View Post
          Let me first say that I registered to phoronix to answer this post. It's not that big of a deal, I follow the thread and articles with interest here but this kind of bothered me.

Flat out, on an average computer the difference between an 'optimized' gentoo and latest ubuntu is unnoticeable. I've used gentoo for years and I know what I'm talking about, so let's not clutter this thread with false claims and rants.
          you're not completely right,my friend.

gentoo is years ahead ubuntu in customization, if you're a gentoo user you'll understand it.

sugarr did not said that ubuntu was slower than gentoo, he said that XGL is slow, (we all know that, because xgl is an UGLY hack to xserver).

please be patient.... the hour is coming.

sorry my english...

Comment

• Ubuntu never used beagle, for indexed search it is only now using tracker. The only things installed by default that are mono dependent are f-spot and tomboy notes, which can easily be removed. I also know for a fact that the lead ubuntu developers including Mark Shuttlworth openly hate mono and just include the two apps mentioned because they are exceptional. Ubuntu is pretty much a 100% python and C shop on the gnome side of things.

I also know qtdevelop has been in the main repos at lest since 5.10, when I started using ubuntu. So I don't know where you were looking. Furthermore any problem you have with ndiswrapper is pretty independent of any distro, ubuntu actually will set it up though the restricted driver manager now.

If you just don't like ubuntu that's fine and dandy, but pretty much everything you just complained about is false, that's all.
            that's was my experience some months ago and i had a terrible experience. now i'm having a very pleasant one with gentoo and i think that i'll never switch back to any other versioning distro. i'll just have to compile the new updates when they become stable or to compile them when i need them. and adding stuff is very easily. it was not like that when i used kubuntu. to not speak of configuring issues: i had a terrible headache finding the configuration files. i couldn't find some of them... if i really want a gnome distro that has everything installed and it installs in less than 15 mins or updates in less than 30 i'll chose opensuse. the same thing happened with fedora when i tried to last use it (it was the 5 version if i remember well) which also was awful. to not speak of ubuntu forums or wiki that have a lot of stuff but not the one that you really need, as opposed to the gentoo ones. and in general gentoo solutions work on almost every distro but not ubuntu/kubutu which need different stuff. all this annoying stuff made me hate more and more that distro. and a lot of my friend who used it and who needed to install of to fix something have my same idea. ubuntu/kubuntu is good for windows users who switch to linux and want something that installs quickly and don't use particular things. for example you need to completely update kubuntu to have installed the new knm 0.2 which on my gentoo has been installed form the day it hit the svn, while on kubuntu 6 you would have a pain in the as* compiling it.

gentoo 2007.1 amd64 optimized on turion64-mt37 1gb ram/video 128 xpress200m boots in 1 minute 13 seconds into kubuntu and loads all the stuff in autostart.
            kubuntu 6 with the same settings and things boots up in one minute 40 seconds. which gives 27 seconds of boot time less for gentoo, which is about 30% faster than the other one.
            opensuse 10.2 boots up in 1 minute and 33 seconds, which is also faster than kubuntu (now removed).
            windows xp professional 2minutes and 23 seconds (now removed).
            if i have eint installed i can boot up in less than 45seconds.
            this is a thing that i tried on my notebook. now i'll also try the opensuse 10.3 to see what happens.
            maye it's me that i cannot configure kubuntu, but i found out that for my standars is an awful distro and it's based on apt and debian which i personally hate. but as i've said, this is no place to have such discussion.

Anyway, look at the Radeon HD driver, what dedicated developers were able to produce in such a small amount of time - and look at fglrx, which is produced by a huge company (for our money, of course) for several years...
            i think that the devs at novell are among the best in the linux world. a lot of good stuff has been produced by them in the last years. remember that at the time linux has started to be installed on desktops there were basically 4 distros: debian, red hat, suse and slackware and suse was among the best 3 if not the best, at least in terms of usability at that time.

Comment

gentoo 2007.1 amd64 optimized on turion64-mt37 1gb ram/video 128 xpress200m boots in 1 minute 13 seconds into kubuntu and loads all the stuff in autostart.
              kubuntu 6 with the same settings and things boots up in one minute 40 seconds. which gives 27 seconds of boot time less for gentoo, which is about 30% faster than the other one.
              opensuse 10.2 boots up in 1 minute and 33 seconds, which is also faster than kubuntu (now removed).
              windows xp professional 2minutes and 23 seconds (now removed).
              if i have eint installed i can boot up in less than 45seconds.
              this is a thing that i tried on my notebook. now i'll also try the opensuse 10.3 to see what happens.
              maye it's me that i cannot configure kubuntu, but i found out that for my standars is an awful distro and it's based on apt and debian which i personally hate. but as i've said, this is no place to have such discussion. .
              Well...boot times are not so decisive since there are too many variables (services for istance). Don't get me wrong Gentoo is a fantastic distro...I've been using it for years but for the average user with normal needs Gentoo is "too much"

Comment

• I used gentoo for some months, now I think that people can't waste all the life to compile kde or gnome...
                When I used gentoo I spent 99% of the pc time to compile and 1% to use the pc... The speed was not so better than ubuntu, gnome-terminal opened in 1 sec on ubuntu and 1.5 on gentoo! Why do I have to loose all this time?

Comment

• Let's stop talking about Gentoo (definetely OT) I'd prefer to have my new ati driver released on monday

Comment

• I agree, only I want them yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Uchikoma View Post
                      I just wrote a script that autochanges it to lowest setting on startup. I don't game too much yet, so it's suits my needs.

...as for battery life, I get roughly the equivalent battery life as Windows, so I don't see a difference.
                      You could use rovclock, then you don't need a running Xserver to change the settings.

Comment

Working...
                      X