X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
    i really did believed fredo.....
    I've got a bridge in New York City to sell ya. >:-)

Nobody in their right or not so right mind would be chiming in any more than we are (or, for that matter, I have...) on this subject.

Now, having said this... I'm sure that the driver will be out before end of month; as to whether it'll be a major improvement (Not that this would be hard for them- just unlock and support R300 on up would be that for them at this point...) remains to be seen.

Comment

• Dambit! All my monkeys produce is "The Taming of the Shrew." They are no where near coding...
      Originally posted by Karel View Post
      An infinite number of monkeys with infinite available time will produce working driver too... I wonder whether ATI/AMD or the monkeys will be faster.

Comment

• I've got a bridge in New York City to sell ya. >:-)
        how much?!

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Monkey_King View Post
          Dambit! All my monkeys produce is "The Taming of the Shrew." They are no where near coding...

Let's try it. Progranism (http://www.progranism.com/) is interesting, so choose a (preferably interpreted, compiling the source would produce far to many errors) language with not so strict rules, create a set of rules (e.g. ad semicolon at the end of line, to become the monkeys God aka Intelligent design :-D) and let it run. Delete those that don't run, let the rest spread. A good start

Comment

• Originally posted by givemesugarr View Post
            ...i'd like to know if compiz-fusion would be able to run at decent speed with old xpress200m cards.
            Heads up - Ubuntu Gutsy works great with this - it automatically sets up an xgl session and everything for you. Use the restricted drivers applet.

200m performance in CompizFusion is excellent.

Comment

• Originally posted by zsouthboy View Post
              Heads up - Ubuntu Gutsy works great with this - it automatically sets up an xgl session and everything for you. Use the restricted drivers applet.

So it sets an xgl session up for you automatically...sounds cool...except for one thing.

How are they determining whether to set up an xgl session or use aiglx? If they check for what driver you're using, it'll still try to setup an xgl session even though aiglx is available for our use.

Comment

• Heads up - Ubuntu Gutsy works great with this - it automatically sets up an xgl session and everything for you. Use the restricted drivers applet.

i don't like xgl, since it's damn slow.... i had from a min of 7fps to 85fps with xgl-beryl running the last time that i tried it. then i had a problem that would have driven me mad at every startup: first it would have tried aixgl, then switch to xgl, then switch to default kwin after about 2 minutes, then switch again to xgl after 1 more minute giving me buggy textures. after that to use xgl i would have to reset kwin and then manually select xgl.
                another problem is that i hate gnome (that is more and more awful after the mono-evolution-beagle-gnome integration) so ubuntu for me wouldn't work.
                the last problem is that kubuntu is awful. i run gentoo i have a fully customized and optimized system on which i can install everything i want. on kubuntu i couldn't do it. compiling firefox for example it would have been a nightmare (i wasn't able to do it with only qt and no gtk since ubuntu/kubuntu doesn't have a qtdevelop package or at least i wasn't able to find it); i tried also to install ndiswrapper with no luck of making it work.
                but this is not the discussion to start a distro war, so i want to close this digression before it starts.
                so, reading that the new "answer to the fundamental question driver" is expected to support aiglx i'd like to know if it will really do it for my board too.

Comment

• I'm scared.

I tried the 8.41.7 drivers, and they worked almost perfectly fine, except for the fact that when the drivers were installed, kicker would crash. Uninstalling them fixed the problem.

There was a big performance gain. I'm just worried that I'm going to end up with a specific bug that's not going to be fixed in this release, and the drivers are going to slip through my fingers again.

The two biggest things I want are that terrible bug that causes massive distortion on the screen until you restart X and AIGLX. The performance gain from 8.41.7 on my mobility x1600 was really good. Everything felt smooth and it all worked great.

I also hope that they fix(ed) the problem with decoration blur on emerald. It's an ATI specific problem, so I'm guessing it's the drivers. The lack of blur really really angers me, specially when I have an 8800 GTS in my desktop that does all of this wonderfully. I think it's just a problem with rendering within the drivers.

Comment

• Originally posted by zsouthboy View Post

xgl on my HD2600 mobility is worse than nonexistant...
                    performance is like the gpu is completely bypassed, and the cpu is rendering the windows pixel-by-pixel using my granny's algorithms, while undercloked at 100MHz...

Comment

• Originally posted by Uchikoma View Post
                      So it sets an xgl session up for you automatically...sounds cool...except for one thing.

How are they determining whether to set up an xgl session or use aiglx? If they check for what driver you're using, it'll still try to setup an xgl session even though aiglx is available for our use.
                      Gutsy sets up XGL sessions *only* if you manually installed xserver-xgl package. Uninstalling it makes automatic XGL sessions disappear.

Comment

Working...
                      X