This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
    So if you guys are saying Wednesday, theres still two of them left in the month, the 24th, and the 31st. Which means that it could mean that it doesn't come out this Wednesday, but the next one.
    Michael said it would be released this week, so that makes it the 24th .

(I really don't care, I'd rather see the radeonhd driver make another release )

Comment

• My fglrx script can patch everything, that's not the problem. Btw. I just tested the 2.6.23 patches on 64 bit, it works. Must be a huge step for ati to add 2 little patches

Comment

• Originally posted by robin1979 View Post
        Michael said it would be released this week, so that makes it the 24th .

(I really don't care, I'd rather see the radeonhd driver make another release )
        Yeah.. Or so we hope anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kano View Post
          My fglrx script can patch everything, that's not the problem. Btw. I just tested the 2.6.23 patches on 64 bit, it works. Must be a huge step for ati to add 2 little patches
          I'm sure every developer would like the idea to "just add those two patches" to nicely round up the 8.42 release. But I'm also pretty sure this would trigger another QA cycle, delaying the release.

So, as it is easy to add the patches yourself (running gentoo, so this a non-brainer here, too) personally I prefer to respect the "feature-freeze" and have the driver soon ;-)

Comment

• For some users it seems to be very hard to add patches, for others not. Just depending the way they install the driver. If they rely on the ati installer they have lost.

Comment

• Where can we find information on the patches?

Comment

• I would say, examining the previous release dates, that the driver will likely be released within Thursday. Otherwise expect it between the 29th and the 31st.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snake View Post
                  I'm sure every developer would like the idea to "just add those two patches" to nicely round up the 8.42 release. But I'm also pretty sure this would trigger another QA cycle, delaying the release.

So, as it is easy to add the patches yourself (running gentoo, so this a non-brainer here, too) personally I prefer to respect the "feature-freeze" and have the driver soon ;-)
                  Those patches have been around since about 2.6.23-rc1, that was about 10 or 12 weeks ago.
                  It really shouldn't be a problem to include those patches in 8.42, even in the normal QA cycle.

But as I stated before, compiling for kernel 2.6.23 will work (with a patch) and is nothing to worry about. What might not work is xorg-server 1.4 and about this the community can't do anything and depends on the AMD developers.

Actually I don't know how much the driver depends on the kernel, but because there have been some major changes in arch/ it might break with the next kernel release as well (and that might not be correctable by a patch).

Comment

• Originally posted by Malikith View Post
                    So if you guys are saying Wednesday, theres still two of them left in the month, the 24th, and the 31st. Which means that it could mean that it doesn't come out this Wednesday, but the next one.
                    You just caused three guys to wet their pants

Comment

• i hope amd releases 8.42 beta edtion driver first

Comment

Working...
                      X