AMD's Open-Source RadeonSI Driver Sees New Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
    agd5f, isnt that counter-productive with Wayland coming (hopefully) soon? GLX is X-specific isnt it? I was under the impression that to go from X + mesa to Wayland + mesa just needed a recompile with the appropriate configure flag (source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...yland/PKGBUILD)

If the RadeonSI driver depends on GLX, wont it need to be patched to work on Wayland vs X respectively?
    Wayland doesn't provide a native rendering API. Apps have to use an existing one, like GL ES for example, so in wayland all you would need is the 3D driver. glamor is only needed for acceleration when using X.

As to radeonsi, it runs most desktop compositors and a fair number of games just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Ericg View Post
      I was under the impression that to go from X + mesa to Wayland + mesa just needed a recompile with the appropriate configure flag (source: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...yland/PKGBUILD)
      For running wayland you need the bare wayland: git://anongit.freedesktop.org/wayland/wayland
      Then you need mesa with wayland support, i.e. "--with-egl-platforms=wayland,[drm,x11,?]", this uses wayland at compile time.
      If I understand it correctly this should be enough to run "wayland". Of course you probably want a compositor like weston for that.

But... What about xwayland? How will this work with radeonsi? The xwayland website tells you to checkout a branch named xwayland-1.12 so it probably isn't a problem yet anyway, but with 1.13 a proper xf86-video-ati with xwayland support would need glamor too, right? I haven't heard anything about the performance of xf86-video-wlshm. Can it use the the 3d acceleration wayland "has"?

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        So can it run Quake 3 and composited desktops then?
        gnome-shell works perfectly. Not sure about Quake 3 specifically right now, but it's running similar games fine.

Or is it just in the glxgears state right now?
        Hasn't been for quite a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
          [...] a proper xf86-video-ati with xwayland support would need glamor too, right?
          For accelerated GLX/X11 client rendering, yes.

I haven't heard anything about the performance of xf86-video-wlshm. Can it use the the 3d acceleration wayland "has"?
          Wayland doesn't provide any rendering APIs. The compositing works the same way, but the X window contents are rendered in software with xf86-video-wlshm.

Comment

At this rate we'll get full featured open source driver by 2025, if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by MrCooper View Post
              gnome-shell works perfectly. Not sure about Quake 3 specifically right now, but it's running similar games fine.
              That's awesome. I don't have the hardware, but from what phoronix has (not) said, it seemed like the driver was nowhere, but it sounds like it's not that far off of r600g status.

Comment

Working...
              X