Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marek
    replied
    I think the coolest feature of geometry shaders is layered rendering and it has a lot of applications. Layered rendering means rendering to several texture layers (slices of a 3D texture, faces of a cubemap) or viewports at once, that is with only one DrawElements call. The geometry shaders can choose/change the layer or viewport before emitting a new primitive. (BTW the viewport selection is provided by a separate extension)

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    Absolutely. Though, I have yet to come up with a good use for geometry shaders, but I may just lack imagination.

Leave a comment:

• tomato
    replied
    Originally posted by curaga View Post
    GS are usually a speed drop, not an increase
    Not if you count "not running" as 0fps and running at all as something larger than 0 ;>

Leave a comment:

• curaga
    replied
    GS are usually a speed drop, not an increase

Leave a comment:

• tomato
    replied
    Originally posted by Plombo View Post
    Money isn't the problem. The reason I had to stop my geometry shader work is that I stopped having much free time for a while. I actually had more free time during the last month or so, but with less motivation than before to use it to work on geometry shaders. Someone else recently expressed interest in finishing the GS work, though, so hopefully it will be ready in time for the next major Mesa release. I'll still be around to answer any questions that come up, of course, and do whatever else I can to help.

And thanks for your message. It's really nice to know that someone cares.
    We do care and any work that makes radeon driver better is AWESOME work.

I have a dual-head setup so the catalyst drivers are basically unusable for me, as such, any work that makes the radeon driver a bit faster is really appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by Drago View Post
    Many people care, more than you can imagine.
    +1

Albatros

Leave a comment:

• Drago
    replied
    Money isn't the problem. The reason I had to stop my geometry shader work is that I stopped having much free time for a while. I actually had more free time during the last month or so, but with less motivation than before to use it to work on geometry shaders. Someone else recently expressed interest in finishing the GS work, though, so hopefully it will be ready in time for the next major Mesa release. I'll still be around to answer any questions that come up, of course, and do whatever else I can to help.

Many people care, more than you can imagine.

Leave a comment:

• Plombo
    replied
    Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
    Plombo, if the problem is money, please go to Ubuntu, Suse and Fedora forums; post the current state and expected state; post the amount you need and -very important- update the status with reproducable results as you progress.
    If the problem is not money,.. I hope you can resolve it...

Leave a comment:

• crazycheese
    replied
    Also, sorry for suddenly disappearing from the graphics world last year. Hopefully I will be able to be able to do more for Mesa in the future, but for now there's not much choice but to leave my unfinished geometry shader work to be completed by someone else.
    Plombo, if the problem is money, please go to Ubuntu, Suse and Fedora forums; post the current state and expected state; post the amount you need and -very important- update the status with reproducable results as you progress.
    If the problem is not money,.. I hope you can resolve it...

Leave a comment:

• duby229
    replied
    Hi Plombo....

I'm not a dev, but I just wanted to tell you thanks for the work you've already done. And thanks for posting here what the status is. At the very minimum at least now we know that you are tied up with something else so that this work can be completed by someone else.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X