Radeon Driver Enables Full 2D Acceleration For HD 7000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by marek View Post
    Heh, I don't even have an Intel IGP. I have recently made small changes in all gallium drivers while improving the gallium interface. I think I made about the same number of changes in each driver.

And that's why you're the Man

Comment

Originally posted by garegin View Post
      cool your jets hippie. intel drivers in windows are more capable AND faster than the linux ones.
      I know. It means Intel drivers on GNU/Linux can be much better performance wise.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
        Basically, your quarrel is the license. I wonder how often you have to use that that makes cry rivers over it.
        Besides optimus, I couldn't name any missing features compared to Windows and optimus support is blown way out of proportions. One feature I particularly like is getting simultaneous driver releases for both Linux and Windows.
        Eh, no. Although license is a very big one. So big, AMD went for complete rewrite.

Nvidia also decides on their own, which features will users get and craps on their reactions. Thats the second point.
        And their hardware is not universal one, like of AMD. And it became even more cut in Kepler - strictly gaming cards. Thats third.
        And then,.. that old thing when they essentially bought out or bankrupted everyone except ati. Thats fourth.

But when you need good driver with good 3d and AMD gave crap (two years before),.. whats the choice left?..

Originally posted by moilami View Post
        I know. It means Intel drivers on GNU/Linux can be much better performance wise.
        Closed source intel windows driver is about 10% faster......

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          Heh, I don't even have an Intel IGP. I have recently made small changes in all gallium drivers while improving the gallium interface. I think I made about the same number of changes in each driver.
          Dear Sir, if there is ANYTHING left that could be improved, please take our money

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
            Nvidia driver works, it is best proprietary supported driver and it brought 3D to Linux.
            Not quite. Nvidia brought proprietary 3D to Linux, but we had free and for the most part open 3D drivers beforehand:

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              Not quite. Nvidia brought proprietary 3D to Linux, but we had free and for the most part open 3D drivers beforehand:
              http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4152?page=0,0
              Thanks for the article link!

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
                http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/4152?page=0,0
                Eh, 3D acceleration was a lot simpler back in those days (but your observation is still correct, I won't dispute that).
                Today, I don't see anyone doing 3D modelling on Linux using anything other than a nvidia card with proprietary drivers.

Comment

So it would seem that a 4 year old promise is kept: the HD8000 series might be the first with launch-day support (or at least close). kudos guys. Starting a new driver from scratch with a 2 generation handicap, enabling older hardware along with new all the while enabling new features couldn't have been an easy task
                  No it's not done, no it's not 100% optimized, but the OSS driver is usable for basic tasks (talking about r600g, haven't tried radeonSI yet).

Serafean

Comment

More than just basic - it has certainly not slowed down my gaming any.

Comment

proprietary Catalyst drivers pain in the rear

Originally posted by Rexilion View Post
                      The general idea in this community is that opensource will solve that all on it's own (it's free!!). I'm suprised that ppl are dissapointed by the lagging support for this hardware. And are asking to donate money/manpower.

Proprietary software is being treated as it's the devil himself. Yet nVidia's driver is the best proof that proprietary works with opensource software.
                      Have you tried to use the proprietary Catalyst (Crapitalist?) drivers with Linux? It's a constant pain in the rear. X gets updated, but Catalyst no longer works with X. So you try to install some new application and it needs some updated X functionality. One of two things happens. Either a new version of X gets installed, and lo and behold X is broken. Or you simply cannot upgrade. But let's set aside the many technical problems with proprietary drivers for a moment.

Proprietary software is ethically wrong. It's holding back the progress of mankind. Think about how much faster technology progresses when software is done out in the open.

Also, it is naive to think that proprietary software is about gettings things for free. Programmers get paid to write free software. People buy hardware that is supported by free software. And companies sell support for free software. Free in this context is about freedom, not about price.

-ed.

Comment

Working...
                      X