Installing The RadeonHD Driver On Ubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanL View Post
    spidernik84, I got the exact same thing on my integrated X1250 and the driver didn't work for me. Someone in the RadeonHD IRC told me to try Option "NoRandR" "True" in my xorg.conf device section. That cleared up the error, but now it's complaining about not being able to detect my monitor. *sigh
    Dear DanL, same error here.
    On my Hd2600pro i solved simply attaching the monitor to the dvi port of my card via dvi-to-vga adapter inclued.
    I suppose this is not the solution to your problem, considering you are on a laptop...or not?
    The driver is now able to detect the monitor correctly, although the rendering it's not verry fast.
    I can't say whether it's a driver issue or the fact that i'm outputting the video throught the dvi port...
    It works, ok, but this is not the solution. If Randr needs to be disabled there's clearly something wrong going on...

Let's keep working and assisting each other, there will be an ending to this battle, one day ;P

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
      Phoronix: Installing The RadeonHD Driver On Ubuntu

While today's unveiling of the RadeonHD driver for the ATI R500 and R600 series is great news, this driver right now is targeted solely for developers as it's still experimental and doesn't yet support 3D acceleration and other key functionality generally needed in production environments. However, if you are looking to try out this new RadeonHD driver on Ubuntu because you're running into problems with the proprietary fglrx driver or just wishing to report your results, we've documented the installation procedures for Ubuntu.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11067
      Thanks for helping me bringing my laptop to his optimal resolution of 1440/900 resolution on ubuntu. I did your procedure and worked without any probs. The only thing I notice when moving some windows is a kind of late refreshment of the screen. Nevertheless great job.

How can I follow up the next generation of this radeon driver ?

I have a HDMI connection will that be supported too ?

PS
      laptop toshiba P200 1BF with radeon 2600HD 256M

Regards
      Guy

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
        Phoronix: Installing The RadeonHD Driver On Ubuntu

While today's unveiling of the RadeonHD driver for the ATI R500 and R600 series is great news, this driver right now is targeted solely for developers as it's still experimental and doesn't yet support 3D acceleration and other key functionality generally needed in production environments. However, if you are looking to try out this new RadeonHD driver on Ubuntu because you're running into problems with the proprietary fglrx driver or just wishing to report your results, we've documented the installation procedures for Ubuntu.

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11067
        Thanks for posting this now I can work with optimal resolution on my laptop 1440/900. The procedure went well refered by the website link.

How can I follow up the next generation of this driver ?

Is HDMI (which i have) supported yet ?

PS
        laptop toshiba P200 with radeon 2600HD 256M
        ubuntu 71

Thanks
        Guy

Comment

The simplest ways to test the RadeonHD in Ubuntu is to use the packages provided by Tormod Volden. They are updated quite often.

Link:

Comment

The article shows how to install radeonhd, which I did some time ago successfully.
            However now I want to update radeonhd, what are the commands to download readeonhd from git?

Comment

Originally posted by wiscados View Post
              The article shows how to install radeonhd, which I did some time ago successfully.
              However now I want to update radeonhd, what are the commands to download readeonhd from git?
              Go to your "xf86-video-radeonhd" dir which you've downloaded with that git command and run

git pull

to update and then

./autogen.sh --prefix=/usr
              make
              root > make install

again.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Is this tutorial still up to date?
                  Because it was written for 7.10 and now we are on 8.10 with new Xorg, Mesa etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by izual View Post
                    Is this tutorial still up to date?
                    Because it was written for 7.10 and now we are on 8.10 with new Xorg, Mesa etc. etc.
                    if you dont want to compile it manual you can use the PPA from Tormod https://launchpad.net/~tormodvolden/+archive

Comment

I don't have problems with compiling it, it worked just fine on 7.10 / 8.04. I just want to be shure that (exactly) this method is still OK.

Comment

Working...
                      X