Marek Further Improves Radeon Mesa Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tomato View Post
    That's a "wow" kind of result. Good thing I was sitting...
    Not all tests improve that much, but it seems like whenever you're out of VRAM, the performance can improve a LOT.

I've finished the tests that I was planning on running. Heaven improved the most, but when I ran Xonotic at 1920x1200 at the highest settings, the framerate went from 9fps to 29... Not bad for just a kernel upgrade with a few hundred lines of changed code.

The tests include:
    Heaven
    Nexuiz
    OpenArena
    World of Padman
    Smoking Guns
    Tremulous
    Urban Terror
    Warsow
    Reaction Quake 3
    Xonotic

OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

Comment

Interesting, as it seems to improve the most on titles which were actually regressed by some of Marek's earlier attempts at boosting framerates:
      Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite
      Last edited by Hamish Wilson; 12 December 2012, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks to Marek for his wonderful work

I personally think that Marek should be hired by AMD or Valve (specially if Valve is interested in considering AMD hardware in their future Linux Console)

Comment

Not sure on this, but I believe that Marek was offered a job at AMD but he turned it down as he was still in college. Or am I thinking of someone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
            Not sure on this, but I believe that Marek was offered a job at AMD but he turned it down as he was still in college. Or am I thinking of someone else?
            I'm pretty sure you're remembering correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamish Wilson View Post
              Well then I think that they should:
              1. Tell him that he has a job waiting for him after his college
              2. Send him a current AMD Radeon graphics card of choice
              3. Send him the upcoming AMD Radeon graphics card whenever the next generation gets released or even prior to official release
              4. Send him a AMD CPU (with integrated GPU) and motherboard
              5. Maybe offer to pay some tuition/college fees or offer him some sort of stipend?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                Well then I think that they should:
                1. Tell him that he has a job waiting for him after his college
                2. Send him a current AMD Radeon graphics card of choice
                3. Send him the upcoming AMD Radeon graphics card whenever the next generation gets released or even prior to official release
                4. Send him a AMD CPU (with integrated GPU) and motherboard
                5. Maybe offer to pay some tuition/college fees or offer him some sort of stipend?
                Job for fglrx?
                He already has job. He just picks the bugs and shortcomings of radeon driver, fix them and call the price here and for example on ubuntu forums.
                Also, he already stated he apparently does not need any card...

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                  Job for fglrx?
                  He already has job. He just picks the bugs and shortcomings of radeon driver, fix them and call the price here and for example on ubuntu forums.
                  Also, he already stated he apparently does not need any card...
                  No, job for the open source AMD Radeon driver.
                  I don't think that is his job, its more like a hobby.
                  I don't think the donations from the Linux community is enough to sustain his driver development as a job.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                    No, job for the open source AMD Radeon driver.
                    I don't think that is his job, its more like a hobby.
                    I don't think the donations from the Linux community is enough to sustain his driver development as a job.
                    The average donation is 20$. He only needs 200 radeon users to donate to earn month salary.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                      The average donation is 20$. He only needs 200 radeon users to donate to earn month salary.
                      That's a really low salary for gpu driver development, and i doubt there are 200 people donating every month.

Comment

Working...
                      X