12-Way Radeon Gallium3D GPU Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sidicas View Post
    IMO, it's better to not do it at all, unless it can be done right.. And to do it right, you need all 3. Only with all 3 can you really draw conclusions about whether a card is video memory bottlenecked by memory capacity or memory performance or not. Not sure if phoronix wants to get into all that video memory stuff, but if they do, I hope they do it right, that's all.
    I agree the memory should be reported.

But having to guess with the stats is pointless. If AMD had opened the performance counters, we could have a label next to each benchmark result saying "this benchmark was mostly memory-bound" or similar. Now the best that could be done is to determine whether the bench was CPU or GPU bound, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      (except for the Radeon driver since it only exposes the clock information over debugfs instead of sysfs, unless I run PTS as root or remember to chmod the debug directory before testing, it won't show anything)
      Eh, I tried to change that months back, but got a response that Jerome (IIRC it was him) wants to create a new way to report information.

@Kivada

GPU-Z needs updates for every new GPU, does it not? This really points to it having some built-in database of them.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
        GPU-Z needs updates for every new GPU, does it not? This really points to it having some built-in database of them.
        IIRC, GPU-Z uses vendor specific interfaces to get that information.

Comment

Do those interfaces change each generation? That could explain the per-GPU new versions too.

Comment

Working...
          X