AMD Catalyst vs. Linux 3.7 + Mesa 9.1-devel Gallium3D Performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobwya View Post
    I applaud the efforts that have been made with the radeon driver. It came from nothing - to the offer good stability and a good subset of the OpenGL requirements for modern 3D gaming. But last time I tested it on my laptop with a **real** game (S.T.A.L.K.E.R. : SOC via Wine) I got something like 6 FPS (Catalyst gives more like 30 FPS). The lack of full shadows isn't too noticeable - but the lamentable framerate is...

Since I have a (very recent!!) legacy 4650M I guess most distros are gradually going to stop supporting it (my ARCH and Gentoo installs might limp on longer than the likes of Ubuntu - which xorg-server updates are the killer).

I only have an AMD GPU in my laptop because Nvidia had nothing decent when I bought it. While the Catalyst driver was very slowly getting better over the years - I'm now stuck on some stupid legacy driver (limiting xorg-server and kernel updates).

Trouble is I can't help looking at my truly ancient desktop Geforce 8800GTX with the bleeding edge 310.xx Nvidia beta driver - working like a champ and playing Black Mesa Source (via Wine) rather well!
    This is why I use Nvidia ... for now.. I hope.
    In fact, when I got HD4670 back in days to use opensource driver, I had 5 FPS in old version of OpenArena.. Now it *would* run @ 90 fps.

The problem is that STALKER uses DX features that are not implemented in MESA yet, and it causes massive slowdowns. Absence of shadows is one of the indices.

Comment

Originally posted by ilyes View Post
      If TTM is the culprit, why isn't there any patches already (4 years!) for addressing the buffers migration issue?
      The reason is simple - there is a lack of manpower. I myself won't have time to do anything big until February.

I think the issue with TTM was there all long, we just didn't know it has such an impact. Since we started enforcing VRAM buffer placements, we've seen both great improvements (because of faster access to VRAM) and terrible regressions in perfomance (because of TTM when we start running out of memory).
      Last edited by marek; 27 November 2012, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
        I expect the performance gap is caused by a dozen or more design differences, not one. Just a few off the top of my head :

- tiling (mostly done AFAIK)
        - hyper-z (started)
        - shader compiler (WIP)
        - threading (command submission is in separate thread on r300g, not sure about r600g)
        - memory manager heuristics (this is what would probably help with buffer migration)
        - adaptive load balancing
        - adaptive memory reconfiguration

BTW I don't think Marek is saying "we've known this for 4 years", I think he's saying "I just looked recently and the problem with these specific applications seems to be buffer migration".

If the developers believed that one single issue was responsible for most of the performance differences then I think it's pretty safe to assume they would be all over it, but I don't think that is the case.

Some apps (typically the very slowest) may have one single issue that contributes most of the slowdown RELATIVE TO OTHER APPLICATIONS but that's not the same as saying one single issue contributes to most of the performance gap between the open source stack and the Catalyst stack.
        All I'm saying is: Likely a bunch of different applications (like in Michael's benchmark, or a subset of them) exhibiting the same performance gap *factor* would likely mean a common root cause. This would be a constant and systematic driver behavior.

I might be wrong!

Some apps (typically the very slowest) may have one single issue that contributes most of the slowdown RELATIVE TO OTHER APPLICATIONS but that's not the same as saying one single issue contributes to most of the performance gap between the open source stack and the Catalyst stack.
        Yes, this is what benchmarking is all about. The goal is to exercise the stack and detect isolated vs. generalized performance issues.

- tiling (mostly done AFAIK)
        - hyper-z (started)
        - shader compiler (WIP)
        - threading (command submission is in separate thread on r300g, not sure about r600g)
        - memory manager heuristics (this is what would probably help with buffer migration)
        - adaptive load balancing
        - adaptive memory reconfiguration
        Would love to see all these featured in the kernel/mesa!

Regards,
        -Ilyes

Comment

Hi Marek,

Originally posted by marek View Post
          The reason is simple - there is a lack of manpower. I myself won't have time to do anything big until February.

I think the issue with TTM was there all long, we just didn't know it has such an impact. Since we started enforcing VRAM buffer placements, we've seen both great improvements (because of faster access to VRAM) and terrible regressions in perfomance (because of TTM when we start running out of memory).
          Is there any way to trace TTM's allocations and visualize the dynamics (such as via a tool, in real-time)?

-Ilyes

Comment

We have bug in bugzilla or thread in maillist?

Comment

Is there any way to trace TTM's allocations and visualize the dynamics (such as via a tool, in real-time)?
              No, there isn't.

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
              We have bug reports that some apps are too slow.

Comment

Would love to see all these featured in the kernel/mesa!
                It's a community developed driver, more contributors would be welcomed.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by stalkerg View Post
                  I am following the mesa-dev list. Jerome has tried a few heuristics without positive results:

The issue with radeon performance is clearly a serious lack of developers imho. The AMD guys are only doing basic stuff, and even there they can't manage to have a working driver in time. So what remains are Marek and Jerome contributing as time allows...

Comment

No, there isn't.

We have bug reports that some apps are too slow.
                    IMHO need some documentation or ticket for TTM heuristics.

Comment

Originally posted by Beve3rly
                      I could write some more about it. Maybe even a full-blow essay. Unfortunately I am not a good writer, so I will let it be in my mind.
                      That would be amazing! And it is very difficult to understand the code.

Comment

Working...
                      X