Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Closes The Operating System Research Center

Phoronix: AMD Closes The Operating System Research Center

AMD has indeed shutdown its Dresden-based Operating System Research Center (OSRC) in the latest round of cost-cutting efforts...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Terrible CPUs + no optimizations = bankrupt
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Sad news indeed and bad days for us consumers where like in early Pentium days, no progress, mediocre CPUs with no competition and sold at an exorbitant price thanks to MONOPOLY.

Comment

I don't think AMD abandons direct Linux support for their CPUs.
        "Maybe" they concentrate those efforts somewhere else.

BUT: The AMD PR department is obviously lousy (at best)!

Comment

I follow Xen-devel mailing list and it was often the place for patches submitted by AMD engineers. In terms of providing support for common place graphics card passthrough and IOMMU AMD was doing a great job.

It's a pity for the community and for all the engineers involved. I'm sure they'll land a job fast but still it sucks.

My thanks for their work on Xen.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
            "Maybe" they concentrate those efforts somewhere else.
            Yeah, I think they are turning to ARM based server CPUs now while at the same time ditching Linux support, which just proves the company won't be around for too long unfortunately. What happened to the AMD that gave us the almighty Athlon?

Comment

Originally posted by devius View Post
              What happened to the AMD that gave us the almighty Athlon?
              They suffer to many years under the market abuse which are done by intel

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                Terrible? I don't think so. They may not be as fast as the latest Intel CPUs for gaming and other workloads, but they're still very fast CPUs and a decent buy for the money.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
                  WTF are you talking about?
                  AMD performance/$ is WAY better than Intel.
                  And what 'optimizations' are you referring to? You mean the ones like Intel does to their compiler to sabotage the performance of AMD processors?
                  http://techreport.com/discussions/8547 -- verified independently, disabling the "if (intel) run_fast_path(); else run_slow_path();" check yielded a 10% improvement in AMD processor performance.

AMD makes every bit as good of a processor.
                  AMD slaughters intel on a per $ basis.
                  AMD doesn't use cheap compiler trickery to damage the results of their competitors.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
                    WTF are you talking about?
                    Just guessing, but I think he means the same as me - with their linux cpu support guys kicked out, support for future AMD cpus will get worse.

Comment

Working...
                    X