Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. 1 question, what is PLL?

Comment

In this context, presumably Phase Locked Loop.

Basically a clock generator using a variable frequency oscillator -- output of the oscillator is divided down then the result is compared to a reference frequency, then output of the comparison is used to tweak the oscillator frequency up or down. Think of it as a "frequency multiplier" that lets you take a reference frequency then multiply it by a programmable amount to get the frequency you want.
      Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by wargames View Post
        you guessed it .... NVIDIA ! At least they release a full-blown (stable, supports latest opengl, proper power management, good performance, CUDA) driver instead of that CRAP AMD is giving us. The quality of the AMD driver is insulting, and they have had a lot of years to come up with a proper solution... do you actually have a computer science degree guys ?
        Obligatory link: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...uck-They-don-t

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          All graphic card drivers cards suck in their own way. You just have to know which will suck less for your specific workload.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
            All graphic card drivers cards suck in their own way. You just have to know which will suck less for your specific workload.
            Probably the truth.

As for me, the R600 Gallium 3D drivers serve my needs. So I for one am already happy, although improvements are of course always welcome.

Comment

The power management changes really aren't anything to be excited about. We're still waiting for actual improvements. I doubt we'll ever see them, and really, I'm not a pessimist.

Comment

Will these changes solve overheating?

Hi, I'm using Archlinux and Radeon HD 6520G. Had to switch to Catalyst driver, because with Radeon the laptop just switched off after some time because of overheating...

Now, there's 3.7.8 kernel. Do you thing it's ready to get back to open-source drivers?

Comment

No not yet. it still doesnt have proper power management. You can change the power profile, but that is a static change... It might be a while before proper power management is implemented. I don't expect to see it before the 3.9 or 3.10 kernel....

Comment

Working...
                  X