Bridgman Is No Longer "The AMD Open-Source Guy"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Just wanted to let you know Bridgman, thanks for all the work. I know you get a lot of flak around here, but I'm glad you guys at AMD work so hard for the cause of open source.
    +1

Fully agree, thank you Bridgman.
    Hope you'll be around here from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by entropy View Post
      +1

Fully agree, thank you Bridgman.
      Hope you'll be around here from time to time.
      +1 and thanks for talking to us here at the forum

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
        Tell the new guy to join the forums so we can holler at him about PM and stuff (j/k)
        I'm already here, just about 6,000 times less prolific than John.

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by twriter View Post

Tim
          Hi Tim,

welcome on board!

Is there anything you want to share with us concerning your vision on the AMD open source strategy?

Comment

What's HSA, anyway?

But yea, thanks for all the contributions to the forum over all the years

Originally posted by twriter View Post

Tim
            Michael, get to editing that subtitle there

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              What's HSA, anyway?
              Heterogenous System Architecture -- it's not easy to put in a one-liner summary but basically making it a whole lot easier for CPUs and GPUs to work together. There are a number of major HW vendors collaborating on it via the HSA Foundation :

Phil's keynote slides from AFDS 2012 give a pretty good sampling of what's involved :

Slide 30 touches on the open source aspects of the initiative. Part of my new job is working on alignment between HSA open source plans and other open source GPU/CPU activities inside and outside AMD.
              Last edited by bridgman; 20 September 2012, 10:41 AM.
              Test signature

Comment

He probably got tired of arguing with Q

Comment

@bridgman

How committed to open source are the members of the hsa foundation. Because i think some of the companies there are not that friendly when it comes to graphics

Comment

@bridgman maybe you can comment in this thread about how HSAIL relates to SPIR (if there is any kind of relation)?

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                      @bridgman

How committed to open source are the members of the hsa foundation. Because i think some of the companies there are not that friendly when it comes to graphics
                      I think one of the major ideas behind HSA is to standardize it across the industry, so I think they are pretty committed to making it at least as open as, say, OpenGL. Individual companies will probably have different ideas about how friendly towards open source they will be individually - i'm sure many will try to keep as much proprietary as possible, and just have that higher level that's shared across vendors be open source.

Comment

Working...
                      X