Marek Cleans-Up & Refactors R600g Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by log0 View Post
    I think this is the profiling work mentioned by Marek, maybe interesting for you too.
    http://lists.freedesktop.org/archive...er/003998.html
    again very useful, i have hope that using apitrace/oprofile/CS cross check i can find some bottlenecks and maybe playing a bit with tom stellard llvm compiler[won't be easy tho but should be a good way to get more intimate with gallium code ]

Comment

Originally posted by whitecat View Post
      J?rome said, more than one year ago, that the kernel interface is quite bad and is (or will be) a bottleneck. But it's really hard to heavily modify this.
      I think the kernel interface is quite good. Jerome just likes to rewrite things from scratch. It's a sport for him. Most of the kernel code is executed in another thread and runs in parallel with Mesa most of the time. You wouldn't probably even notice if the kernel code were twice as slow.

Comment

Support Marek

A great think to help Marek is to buy him a beer or two. In his account you have his paypal address.

Marek, you already have my 20? of thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
          I think the kernel interface is quite good. Jerome just likes to rewrite things from scratch. It's a sport for him. Most of the kernel code is executed in another thread and runs in parallel with Mesa most of the time. You wouldn't probably even notice if the kernel code were twice as slow.
          So, would it become a concern if we had open source crossfire/sli support?

Comment

Originally posted by Almorca View Post
            A great think to help Marek is to buy him a beer or two. In his account you have his paypal address.

Marek, you already have my 20? of thanks.
            THANKS! Thats very nice!

I need just to wait till cards stabilize more, then he has 50? from me! However, this will happen unless Intel makes powerful GPU. In this case, it will be a hard decision!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              THANKS! Thats very nice!

I need just to wait till cards stabilize more, then he has 50? from me! However, this will happen unless Intel makes powerful GPU. In this case, it will be a hard decision!
              Good work is good work. And Marek is doing it. He has 20? from me.
              I have one question. Marek, after you finish r600g re-factoring what is next? Do you have the will to optimize r600g shader compiler? If yes, will you be using LLVM back-end for this endeavor?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                So, would it become a concern if we had open source crossfire/sli support?
                I think it's too early to talk about crossfire. We are not even on par with fglrx on single-card configurations as far as features and performance are concerned. The thing with the R300-R500 GPUs was that Catalyst 9.3 hadn't seemed to be as much optimized as it is now, so it wasn't so hard to outperform it in some tests. It's going to be much harder to compete with todays fglrx on R600 and later hardware.

Originally posted by Drago View Post
                I have one question. Marek, after you finish r600g re-factoring what is next? Do you have the will to optimize r600g shader compiler? If yes, will you be using LLVM back-end for this endeavor?
                OpenGL 3.1 support and bug fixes are on the top of my lists right now. OpenGL 3.1 shouldn't be so hard, because there is core Mesa support in place already.

Comment

Originally posted by marek View Post
                  OpenGL 3.1 support and bug fixes are on the top of my lists right now. OpenGL 3.1 shouldn't be so hard, because there is core Mesa support in place already.
                  Marek, it would be just outrageous, if you guys fix the card bottleneck. Rise the performance to at least 60% compared to catalyst, where possible before moving further. This will justify people to use and purchase AMD cards for your driver. There is little sense widening OpenGL support if barely anyone can use this fruit on AMD cards. You work will just spread out to other chips, that have already that bottlenecking solved. Please!

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
                    Marek, it would be just outrageous, if you guys fix the card bottleneck. Rise the performance to at least 60% compared to catalyst, where possible before moving further. This will justify people to use and purchase AMD cards for your driver. There is little sense widening OpenGL support if barely anyone can use this fruit on AMD cards. You work will just spread out to other chips, that have already that bottlenecking solved. Please!
                    Second that. Most games run with this level of OpenGL support, but too slow. Especially on the APU front.

Comment

If you have the latest Mesa and DDX, try to enable 2D tiling in xorg.conf. It should give you a nice boost in bandwidth-limited apps.

Comment

Working...
                      X