Radeon Power Management Still An Incomplete Mess

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
    I consider compositing a requirement for a modern desktop. I don't care so much about the effects, but the removal of stuff like tearing, flickering, and visible window redrawing are all benefits of compositing.

none of mine tear or flicker ... maybe you're doing it wrong?

or are you talking about using blob?

Comment

Originally posted by D0pamine View Post
      none of mine tear or flicker ... maybe you're doing it wrong?

or are you talking about using blob?
      I only use intel/amd graphics with oss drivers, I refuse to use any proprietary drivers... Without compositing you do see more of these types of glitches, although yes some drivers now don't tear in 2d. Compositing also gives you window shadows, smooth corners, animations and lots of other little things that just lead to a better experience.

Comment

Originally posted by bwat47 View Post
        I only use intel/amd graphics with oss drivers, I refuse to use any proprietary drivers... Without compositing you do see more of these types of glitches, although yes some drivers now don't tear in 2d. Compositing also gives you window shadows, smooth corners, animations and lots of other little things that just lead to a better experience.
        yeh me too ( i do have a few old nv gpus knocking around ) but i've never seen glitches.. i'm not sure what you mean by glitches infact

I don't care about what average joe wants I just want something that is functional and completely customizable. By all means have beryl/compiz/compiz-fusion/gnome-shell/unititty but be aware - this is just Yet Another Amusing Misuse Of Resources and as your lap starts to cook and your battery drains you should be able to switch these effects off on the fly without losing any functionality as you could simply using gnome2 and compiz/fusion-icon

give openbox a try, a WM with great effects with none of the cost...

Comment

Working...
        X