RadeonSI Gallium3D Gets New State Handling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    How many management layers and code reviews does this have to pass through before it is released.

Anyone we can bribe/blackmail/kidnap etc to make this faster.
    No layers really, and no management -- it's a small group of the most senior technical people.Unfortunately those are the same people who are in demand for most of the other major initiatives in the company.

I guess you could speed up the discussion by finding the ones who are on vacation and forcing them back to the office at gunpoint, but that would probably kill any hope of ever getting approval.
    Last edited by bridgman; 24 July 2012, 05:04 PM.
    Test signature

Comment

I just find it kinda funny that AMD is deciding to stay out of so many markets.
      Like SpinalTap they are just becoming more selective in their appeal.

My last AMD based graphics card lasted just over 2 years before it crapped out. If the same holds true for this one that gives me about a 50/50 chance of having a working driver before I have to march out for a new card. But the truth is I am looking at reallocating my 6 core 8GB HD7700 machine as a server and going out to build an Intel based machine so I can get a machine with proper drivers. The HD7700 is good enough for a headless server but not much else. My Atom 330 machine I bought for < $200 has better graphics performance . After years of being a large AMD supporter I now tell every one who will listen not to buy AMD if they are going to use Linux. All that support talk we used to hear was just PR BS. AMD has a market cap of $3B and they want us to believe hiring a few new document writers or devs will make or break the company? I don't blame the devs but I am completely disgusted by the company.

Comment

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
        ... The HD7700 is good enough for a headless server but not much else. My Atom 330 machine I bought for < $200 has better graphics performance . After years of being a large AMD supporter I now tell every one who will listen not to buy AMD if they are going to use Linux. All that support talk we used to hear was just PR BS. AMD has a market cap of $3B and they want us to believe hiring a few new document writers or devs will make or break the company? I don't blame the devs but I am completely disgusted by the company.
        It's funny, you are saying that an atom 330 which _does not have GPU_ is faster than you PC with an HD7750 (i am guessing), something is seriously wrong in what you use. Because here with software, any AMD Fusion/Intel Core beat any atom box i ever been near of (and i have seen quite few). I am not even talking about using fglrx that works ok for me on HD7750.

Comment

Originally posted by jvillain View Post
          All that support talk we used to hear was just PR BS. AMD has a market cap of $3B and they want us to believe hiring a few new document writers or devs will make or break the company? I don't blame the devs but I am completely disgusted by the company.
          OK, I have to ask. How do you reconcile "just PR BS" with having 4+ developers working full time on the open source driver, working GL3-ish driver stacks for all the GPUs except HD7xxx, and "written, pushed to public repo, debugging now" code for HD7xxx ?

Why would we ask you to believe that hiring a few devs would break the company when they are already hired and working - 2 for >4 yrs, 4 for the last year plus others working part time ?
          Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
            While I don't expect OOTB support for 9000, it is good to know that the OSS team will be starting to ramp up at the same time fglrx is starting to ramp up. Unfortunately, and this is speculation, I fear that the hardware teams are so used to working with the catalyst team's processes that there will be some growing pains for the OSS team. True parity will likely never occur. That's OK though, as long as the OSS team can produce an acceptable driver in a reasonable amount of time.

While a number of us complain that OSS isn't delivered as fast as FGLRX, what we're really trying to say is that we want an acceptable driver in a reasonable amount of time. The fact that FGLRX exists annoys us, because it reminds us constantly of what-could-have-been had AMD shared our utopian software development philosophy. Really, you just want your purchased product to work, and work now, and align with your philosophy.

I'll be looking forward to AMD's 9000 offering. I hope that they can deliver a working OSS driver in an acceptable timeframe.

F
            Probably true. I suspect the closer we are to parity, the closer you get to the end of catalyst on linux.

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Now if only the graphics drivers were GPL and not MIT

Start earlier than Catalyst -> Cat people will look in the open code -> open code likely taints Cat -> Cat must be open-sourced.

MIT is freer then GPL, GPL is a virus that infect everything it touchs creating artificial restrictions. Its a shitty liscense if the idea is freedom as in speech, it is more restrictive. MIT is closer to public commons, which is close to as free as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by ownagefool View Post
                Probably true. I suspect the closer we are to parity, the closer you get to the end of catalyst on linux.
                I suspect that true parity can not occur. We have to assume that the catalyst team works (hand in hand) with the hardware team on a fair portion of the design. I would be a challenge to my imagination if it were any other way.

F

Comment

Originally posted by russofris View Post
                  I suspect that true parity can not occur. We have to assume that the catalyst team works (hand in hand) with the hardware team on a fair portion of the design. I would be a challenge to my imagination if it were any other way.

F
                  We were also told that the OS guys would get the same opportunities come the 9000 series, and I suspect cat will drop support for some more older cards, leaving them to the OS world. Just because it wont happen today, doesn't mean it wont happen.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    OK, I have to ask. How do you reconcile "just PR BS" with having 4+ developers working full time on the open source driver, working GL3-ish driver stacks for all the GPUs except HD7xxx, and "written, pushed to public repo, debugging now" code for HD7xxx ?

Why would we ask you to believe that hiring a few devs would break the company when they are already hired and working - 2 for >4 yrs, 4 for the last year plus others working part time ?
                    Your 5 mann team is just in your words a "2% market-share based" alibi team without any real impact in the reality its PR bullshit because for every AMD card you buy you do a cross-subsidize of 9x% of your support money into the MICROSOFT WINDOWS DRIVER!
                    And this is the maximum damage you can do to a open-source/free-software economical-system.
                    This system of little cake for the poor and BIG cake for the MASTER(Microsoft) is called : Corporatism and its the system of the Fascist Nazis.

Congratulations you belong to the axis of evil.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Sure, as long as they understand they may never be able to release the code. Doesn't seem worth it though, since we already have working code and the challenge is getting approval to release it.
                      Working PM code? I assume this means usable dynpm? It's already there and just stuck in legal limbo?

AAaaaaaargh!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X