Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R600g Gallium3D HyperZ Defeats Developers

Phoronix: R600g Gallium3D HyperZ Defeats Developers

Jerome Glisse has published a new patch to enable HyperZ support for the AMD Radeon (R600g) Gallium3D driver. While this patch could be pushed to Mesa, it's not being enabled by default as it's still causing some GPU lock-ups and developers can't seem to figure out the cause. Jerome is now moving onto other work...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Post was strangely worded, it sounded like 'Jerome will be leaving radeon work behind him forever'.
    Last edited by oliver; 13 July 2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

I also got the impression that Jerome will move away from radeon. Which i hope is wrong.

Comment

Marek will fix it.

Comment

The impression I got was that he may just be burnt out from trying to solving the lockup problem. I think he's just publicly announcing his work so far and if anyone wants to fix it, it's up to them because jerome is off to work on some other feature (not leave the radeon entirely)

Comment

To me it sounds like that stuff is not properly documented. Why should he else have to look at fglrx?

Comment

Not surprising because the hardware sucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
                Marek will fix it.
                You mean like R300g?
                Unfortunately it seems hyper-z is a terrible beast
                ## VGA ##
                AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Hyperz is here since R100... should be fixable.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabauke View Post
                    Marek will fix it.
                    Why you say that? r300g still has open bugs against HyperZ and it doesn't look like there is many people working on it... HyperZ locked up a *LOT* under r300g hardware in he past for random and seemingly unexplainable reasons.

When two very skilled devs can't figure it out, it's because AMD isn't doing their job in releasing the specs and/or they're not helping enough to implement HyperZ in the open source driver. I'd definitely say it's AMD's fault and it's probably a waste of time / effort to work on it more until AMD puts out some better specs or helps in some way.

Hyper-Z has always been a clever hardware hack to get a bit of extra performance. From what I've seen over the last 2+ years of HyperZ patches, it's just a matter of getting all the planets to align under the night sky with a full moon, and then you have to throw a little fairy dust down from the highest mountain top... If you don't have all that at the same time, it just doesn't work.

Comment

Working...
                    X