Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Using GLAMOR For Open HD 7000 Series 2D

Phoronix: AMD Using GLAMOR For Open HD 7000 Series 2D

There's now open-source GPU-based 2D hardware acceleration support for the AMD Radeon HD 7000 "Southern Islands" graphics cards using the xf86-video-ati driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It is nice to see cross pollination of technology across companies. Also, with much faster 3D technology, the Radeon HD 7000 series may actually be faster with GLAMOR as opposed to EXA, unlike the Intel hardware.

Comment

It's easy to have something that looks good in benchmarks, but is lousy in actual use.

A lot of those X-related 2D tests can easily suffer from this.

Comment

Somehow I thought there will be more enthusiasm here about SI finally having an X driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
          Somehow I thought there will be more enthusiasm here about SI finally having an X driver.
          Where have you been living? They like to bash AMD here and laud intel for making slow gpu's and nvidia for not having any f/oss drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
            Where have you been living? They like to bash AMD here and laud intel for making slow gpu's and nvidia for not having any f/oss drivers.
            This man speaks the truth!? BURN HIM!!!

Comment

From the story

I guess a kludge is better than nothing. But if they are going down this road then it sounds like there isn't any hope for proper support any where in the near future. We allready know the next X release will do nothing for SI so it will be at least next year before the HD7xxx cards are good for any thing beyond sending email and simple web pages.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilfred View Post
                While I am really happy AMD supports oss more than they used to, the fact is that intel are the biggest contributors to the graphics stack of any company and their oss drivers for the last two gens of hardware are pretty awesome (though it looks like ivb might still be a bit messed up). In fact their gpus are pretty decent, even compared to low end discrete, and no solution, proprietary or not, matches the efficiency of quick sync (which has been open sourced). Lastly, it seems as though when it comes to open source drivers, intel is able to make up for relatively anemic hardware with performance that is better than almost anything else.

Comment

Longer term, glamor might be interesting for older Radeons as well.
                  So does that mean it does not work for older hardware right now?

I wanted to test if it would do anything with evergreen but then glamor-git didn't compile with xorg-git (with stable xorg it did but I didn't really want to change back just to test it). Well...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                    So does that mean it does not work for older hardware right now?
                    It works with older radeons as well (although it requires shaderful hardware, so r300 and newer). You just have to set the AccelMethod option in the device section of your xorg.conf to glamor to try it.

Comment

Working...
                    X