Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" Alpha 2 Is Here

Phoronix: Ubuntu 12.10 "Quantal Quetzal" Alpha 2 Is Here

Ubuntu 12.10 Alpha 2 has been released. This second development milestone for the "Quantal Quetzal" brings a number of package updates and new features...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Just the other day I finally pulled the plug and "upgraded" to 12.04. Holy smokes they have a crapton of regressions, weird UI decisions, and all kinds of glitches, many I'm sure are coming from "upstream". Hopefully in time it'll get ironed out and it won't feel so rigid, but I'd be surprised if 12.10 will be the one to deliver. It's a shame considering the opportunity with the pending Windows 8 trainwreck. But this distro is nowhere near ready for public consumption.

I figure I'll give it another couple days of trial and if I can't work around the glitches I'll just wipe and restore 11.04 from backup.

I do like the Dash / Lenses concept though. That seems to hold some potential.

But yeah... Linux desktop = hackers only plz.

Comment

I thought that minus the remaining Unity & Compiz performance issues, Ubuntu 12.04 was a nice release. Oh, and those performance issues are being adressed right now for Ubuntu 12.10.
      Last edited by d2kx; 28 June 2012, 05:03 PM.

Comment

as with every newer Ubuntu release you first have to replace Unity with Gnome-Shell and throw Pulse-Audio away to get a somewhat useful system.

Comment

Originally posted by Detructor View Post
          as with every newer Ubuntu release you first have to replace Unity with Gnome-Shell and throw Pulse-Audio away to get a somewhat useful system.
          Running a company with 30 employees on 12.04 and while using Ubuntu since v8, 12.04 is our best so far. It tooks us in general no more than a few weeks to like Unity more than Gnome. Our consensus: we would not like to go back to Gnome ever.
          Last edited by tomv; 29 June 2012, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I tend to upgrade as soon as Alpha1 arrives but 12.04 is so far the best release I have seen (since Breezy Badger) from Ubnutu :-) ... So, waiting for beta1 before I upgrade :-).

Comment

Still no...

Still no Wayland/Weston used by default (there is a package in the repository though).

No /usr merge.

Comment

omg... what do they intend to merge in /usr?

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                  Still no Wayland/Weston used by default (there is a package in the repository though).

No /usr merge.
                  Disregarding the fact that the protocol is not finalized yet (we are almost there) no DE runs on wayland thus far. And i doubt that Ubuntu will be the first to deploy it. There are many "core" apps that have to be ready before such a move.

Comment

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
                    Disregarding the fact that the protocol is not finalized yet (we are almost there) no DE runs on wayland thus far. And i doubt that Ubuntu will be the first to deploy it. There are many "core" apps that have to be ready before such a move.
                    When I run 'weston' a window comes up, and then there is only one icon for a terminal.
                    When I click that terminal, then a terminal comes up.

I can't do anything else...

Comment

Working...
                    X