Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radeon Gallium3D LLVM Now Uses VLIW Scheduler

Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D LLVM Now Uses VLIW Scheduler

With a commit this afternoon to Mesa, the R600 Gallium3D driver with the LLVM back-end is now using the performance-boosting VLIW scheduler...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Phoronix: Radeon Gallium3D LLVM Now Uses VLIW Scheduler With a commit this afternoon to Mesa, the R600 Gallium3D driver with the LLVM back-end is now using the performance-boosting VLIW scheduler...http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTEyNDI
    "It looks like it's time for me to start some new R600g benchmarks!"

whats the point Michael....Tom already said it improves some compute shader stuff, and probably no effect for most graphics shader's ATT and your PTS compute shader stuff apparently needs a lot more work to get useful info.

P.s what's with phoronix copy/past edit lately screwing up Carriage returns bolding in odd places and other odd things when you click save even in go advanced etc... the only way to fix it is to copy/past the whole thing into an external editor take out all the crap then copy/past it back and finally take out the extra Carriage returns phoronix think's is there with a second edit... oh well.
    Last edited by popper; 21 June 2012, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
      "It looks like it's time for me to start some new R600g benchmarks!"

whats the point Michael....Tom already said it improves some compute shader stuff, and probably no effect for most graphics shader's ATT and your PTS compute shader stuff apparently needs a lot more work to get useful info.

P.s what's with phoronix copy/past edit lately screwing up Carriage returns bolding in odd places and other odd things when you click save even in go advanced etc... the only way to fix it is to copy/past the whole thing into an external editor take out all the crap then copy/past it back and finally take out the extra Carriage returns phoronix think's is there with a second edit... oh well.
      Tom said, and i quote
      I'm not sure what the impact will be for graphics shaders
      . Which is pretty much an invitation for people to test it out and see.

Although it's not clear to me which games even use the LLVM shader compiler, since shaders that use indirect referencing automatically fall back to the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
        Tom said, and i quote . Which is pretty much an invitation for people to test it out and see.

Although it's not clear to me which games even use the LLVM shader compiler, since shaders that use indirect referencing automatically fall back to the old one.
        well i guess so. but he also said "I tested Lightsmark with the VLIW scheduler enabled and the framerate was about the same, but it might help apps that use really big shaders."
        Last edited by popper; 21 June 2012, 09:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by popper View Post
          well i guess so. but he also said "I tested Lightsmark with the VLIW scheduler enabled and the framerate was about the same, but it might help apps that use really big shaders."
          Yeah and the usual games he tries are ancient and do not use big shaders. Maybe Black Ops 2 via Wine (in case that even runs on Wine) may be a candidate.

Comment

Wasn't this breaking with texture instructions, etc? Or is this a different component?

Comment

Originally posted by curaga View Post
              Wasn't this breaking with texture instructions, etc? Or is this a different component?
              The LLVM compiler was pretty broken under a lot of apps when it was first merged to master, but it's seen a lot of bugfixes and is in pretty good shape now, at least for testing purposes.

It still falls back to the old compiler under certain circumstances though.

Comment

Working...
              X