No announcement yet.

An Optimized Open-Source Driver Tries To Compete With AMD Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, was the power profile default or high?

Comment

Wow... that white text on cyan background is an all-time low readability record for Phoronix... what's up with the CGA colors?

Comment

Originally posted by Temar View Post
        I can't see where the optimized open source driver is trying to compete with the catalyst. The binary blob is still miles ahead.
        Yes, but if it has 60+ FPS for the applications you need competing (optimizing remaining "bottlenecks") is kind of pointless. That's competing enaugh for me.

Video acceleration is also still a problem with the open source drivers. If at least that would work, the open source driver would be suitable for HTPCs.
        It would be definitely very good if it was supported for more video codecs, but what CPU does your HTPC have and what quality of videos do you want to play?

In the current state however it is pretty much useless, except for desktop effects.
        Except for Playing Portal 2 in wine or all of the games in the humble bundles.

Comment

Nice, results are very close to my.
          OpenBenchmarking.org, Phoronix Test Suite, Linux benchmarking, automated benchmarking, benchmarking results, benchmarking repository, open source benchmarking, benchmarking test profiles

hd6700
          Lightsmark 151 vs 178
          Nexuiz 88 vs 101
          Openarena 62 vs 77

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
            Yeah, I really don't need more 3D performance and I'm so tired of waiting for Gallium3D VDPAU
            Well,VDPAU via 3d shaders seems to work, just VDPAU via UVD isn't released:
            Code:
            [    12.045] (II) RADEON(0): [DRI2]   VDPAU driver: r600
            Code:
            # find /usr/lib64 | grep vdpau | grep r600
            /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r600.so.1.0
            /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r600.so
            /usr/lib64/vdpau/libvdpau_r600.so.1
            Code:
            ==========================================================================
            ?ffne Videodecoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg's libavcodec codec family
            Ausgew?hlter Videocodec: [ffh264] vfm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg H.264)
            ?ffne Audiodecoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
            AUDIO: 48000 Hz, 2 ch, s16le, 448.0 kbit/29.17% (ratio: 56000->192000)
            Ausgew?hlter Audiocodec: [ffac3] afm: ffmpeg (FFmpeg AC-3)
            AO: [alsa] 48000Hz 2ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)
            Starte Wiedergabe...
            Film-Aspekt ist 2.35:1 - Vorskalierung zur Korrektur der Seitenverh?ltnisse.
            VO: [vdpau] 1920x816 => 1920x816 Planar YV12

Comment

Taxi but the decoding runs on the cpu only mpeg2/1 is currently hardware accelerated.

Comment

Yes, it clearly says it's using ffmpeg's h.264 codec implementation, only the display part is done by the vdpau implementation, and that part works just as well with xvideo.

Comment

Originally posted by TAXI View Post
                  Well,VDPAU via 3d shaders seems to work
                  The last time I checked, it only supported mpeg 1 and 2.

Comment

it seems the biggest bottleneck roght now it is on the lack of shader packetizer and threading but the fixed functions seem pretty competitive right now wtih catalyst

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                      Yes, but if it has 60+ FPS for the applications you need competing (optimizing remaining "bottlenecks") is kind of pointless. That's competing enaugh for me.
                      I wouldn't call it "remaining bottlenecks" as long as the binary blob is still 2-40 times faster.

Originally posted by ChrisXY View Post
                      It would be definitely very good if it was supported for more video codecs, but what CPU does your HTPC have and what quality of videos do you want to play?
                      My HTPC has an AMD X2 4050e with an onboard AMD HD 3???. It is capable of playing Full-HD videos with the binary blob. However I'm currently using a NVidia GTX430, as XBMC or the Catalyst driver has/had problems with vba (got display errors with some hd-videos) and suspend-to-ram. I'm pretty much done with AMD, my next system will be an Intel Atom with a Nvidia chipset. Nvidia is just the only problem-free solution on Linux.

Comment

Working...
                      X