Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gallium3D R600 Shader Variant Caching

Phoronix: Gallium3D R600 Shader Variant Caching

The latest R600g driver improvement this weekend is for shader variant caching rather than rebuilding the shaders each time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm sorry, but we don't have speed yet.
    ## VGA ##
    AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
    Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

that was a corner case scenario. i think it just helps speed up the recompiling of shaders, but many applications can go their entire existance without recompiling shaders.

we have some speed, just not really enough yet. many cases have pretty good speed and reliability but there are still too many cases where the open drivers are missing someithing and slowing down. dont forget we dont exactly have all that great of a selection of programs to test the drivers with yet. look how micheal basicaly runs 40 quake 3 tests for his benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
        what is your definition of speed? my definition is more than 60fps is useless

its simple if you get more than 30fps your game run well if you get 60fps (120fps on stereoscopic-view) the game runs "very good"

he write a patch what improve the speed from 20fps to 44fps means now the game "RUN" well not very good but well.
        Not all monitors are 60Hz. Many are more than that (I have a 17" CRT that does 1600x1200 at 100Hz or something).

I don't know a lot about gfx driver internals, but if r600g benefits from shader caching, wouldn't other drivers benefit too? Could this be added to gallium3d, so that others (r300g, nouveau) can also use it?

Comment

then 100fps is your dream number. but you don't need 400fps ..........

if the radeon hit 100fps and the catalyst 500fps who cares?
          Of course you care, because on more complex scene catalysts hits let's say 50 fps. And 10 fps with r600g is unplayable...

Comment

today games do not have "more complex" scenes because you always benchmark with the most complex scene.

you mean "Future" games can have more complex scenes.

sure for "Future" games this care but not for today games.
            Even today's games have such complex scenes. (eg. Portal is still borderline playable on minimal settings on my rv620)

Comment

you don't unterstand my words if a today game do have such a complex scene then you benchmark with exactly THIS scene then 100FPS is all you need and on my monitor 60fps.
              Thanks for proving my point.

Comment

LOL its my point? i proved you that there is no need for anything more than 60fps (in the most complex scene) in today games.

but you claim otherwise you claimed that you need 500fps.
                No, I claimed there is not enough speed yet. FPS is far lower than 60

Comment

LOL... and again you don't understand me the 60FPS is the best case you ever can "USE"

the game also runs well on 30FPS because then you only double every frame to get the 60FPS

every Movie does this because the movie only do have: "24fps-30fps"

and the radeon driver already hit the magic 30fps number with the new compiler and shader caching feature.
                  Maybe I haven't expressed myself clearly. By "far lower" I meant 5-10 fps during normal scenes, 2 fps during effects. I have yet to test the shader caching, however there are more patches I am waiting for - HiZ, HiS etc... And when Portal can be played on decent fps rates (30 during normal gameplay, 10 during some special effects) with decent settings (bigger resolution than 720x???, actually some shaders turned on, and portal depth 2), then you can say we have (some) speed.

OTOH, stability is very good already.

Comment

I think the issue here is midrange vs entry level hardware.

Q's card (RV740 IIRC) has ~2x the ROP throughput, ~4x the memory bandwidth and ~8x the shader throughput of Erbureth's RV620.
                    Last edited by bridgman; 10 June 2012, 11:34 AM.
                    Test signature

Comment

Working...
                    X