Gallium3D R600 Shader Variant Caching

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zoomblab View Post
    Can someone tell us, the regular users, HOW TO INSTALL THE LATEST DRIVERS? Is there any official documentation with detailed instructions?
    Note: Phoronix disabled editing forum posts some time ago, so check the main PPA page (https://launchpad.net/%7Eoibaf/+archive/graphics-drivers/) for updated

Comment

Originally posted by droste View Post
      So add the needed repositories.....
      *shrug*

I thought I was being fairly clear with my references to a) bitrock b) Catalyst and c) "that other operating system" that I meant a standalone installer that wasn't repository based.

Comment

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing View Post
        I meant a standalone installer that wasn't repository based.
        You could also download the rpm or deb file from the repository and double click on it, if that makes you more happy ;-)

Comment

The OSS AMD Linux driver does need an installer. That's what people are used to. We want to click next, next, next, watch the little bar, then reboot our computers.
          No! If you want to install drivers manually, use Windows. Some of us just like kernel modules to be installed/working out of the box...

Comment

That's what people are used to. We want to click next, next, next, watch the little bar, then reboot our computers.
            What people?

Comment

Originally posted by droste
              You could also download the rpm or deb file from the repository and double click on it, if that makes you more happy ;-)
              True. But that's not always as universal as it should be.

Originally posted by DanL
              No! If you want to install drivers manually, use Windows. Some of us just like kernel modules to be installed/working out of the box...
              I'm not saying do away with the kernel modules, config files, or any of that other fun and techie stuff. I'm saying do both. There's nothing wrong with having a good standalone install wizard.

And an installer that was done properly would indeed work properly after installation.

Originally posted by not.sure
              What people?
              These people:

This report lists the market share of the top operating systems in use, like Windows, Mac, iOS, Android, and Linux.

I usually would rather a quick installer as opposed to fiddling with it for an hour or two, as well.

Comment

Those people would rather just use Windows, as you just proved.

I usually would rather a quick installer as opposed to fiddling with it for an hour or two, as well.
                It only takes a few seconds to setup a URL in your package manager.

I really don't think many Linux users want to move away from package managers and towards windows-style installers.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
                  I really don't think many Linux users want to move away from package managers and towards windows-style installers.
                  I don't either.

It's a good thing I didn't advocate for that.

This isn't either or. It's both. All of the above.

Comment

How do you propose to make such an installer? Catalyst only does it by patching over a good chunk of the system, which is one of the reasons it can be such a pain. The main advantage of the free radeon driver is the fact you do not need to do that kind of setup.

Comment

I don't either.

It's a good thing I didn't advocate for that.

This isn't either or. It's both. All of the above.
                      I guess I just don't understand what you want then.

The only reason package managers work is that they manage the whole system.

If you break that underlying assumption, then the system can be in any state at any time, and the whole idea of a package manager seems unfeasible to me.

How would you allow it to still work in your system? Technically, I mean.

Even the binary GPU drivers are integrated into distros package managers, for exactly that reason.
                      Last edited by smitty3268; 11 June 2012, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X