Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Qaridarium
    right now i can not install the catalyst 12.4 on my kubuntu 12.04 system with my hd4770
    maybe im to stupid to install a "driver" but on the other side the radeon driver works all the time?
    this means i'm not to stupid to use the radeon driver?

so we have a driver who just works but gets "improvments to late" and we do have a driver who people like me with 20 years of computer experience are incapable to get it to work ?
    in my point of view the radeon driver do have a better performance on my system right now and its just a shame that AMD do not put all the catalyst money into the radeon driver.

but your message is different i think you claim that the radeon driver is hopeless and amd should go 'Catalyst only? with the result that no driver work on my system ? LOL
    You might not have noticed, but the guy you replied to has been - how should I put it - suppressed, so you won't get an answer any time soon.

Comment

Wow, I forgot how cool that heron wallpaper was. I think that's still the only default wallpaper I've actually used. Oh, the memories.

Comment

Actually concerning these benchmarks and the conclusions drawn: I had some questions.

Something notable in the results was that it appeared that games designed for older hardware (earlier versions or using older engines) ran far better on Catalyst than the the open source drivers. Newer games ran closer to the same or sometimes faster. Is this because newer games are forced to use more unoptimized fallbacks for that old hardware narrowing the difference?

I know every time benchmarks are done people chirp in and say why didn't you do this or that - I'm just curious because I have rose glass memories of being able to play NWN with maxed out settings on my T60, and I haven't been able to do that without severe slowdowns on the gallium drivers as of a couple months ago.

Also obviously maxing out settings that arn't supported like AA is cheating.

Comment

Working...
        X