Open-Source R500 Driver Can Compete With Legacy Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by snsedov View Post
    Try to play full screen flash video in KMS mode (X1400 on T60 running Ubuntu 12.04) and listen a sound.
    There is a two year old KMS bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...er/+bug/879790
    Thanks for that. I've been hitting this forever (Arch Linux) but never thought to look for a bug report.

Comment

It would be interesting to compare these with results from Windows too

Comment

Seconded!

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
        Please, fix Hi-Z and enable it by default
        This bug prevents me enabling HiZ for my M66GL (c.f. RV530 ish)
        Last edited by chrisr; 08 June 2012, 10:02 AM. Reason: forgot to add link!

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
          irrelevent blather about what OS our admin systems use and the fact that I have a BluRay player in my home system
          the only true "shooting the messenger" i dit to you was the : Linux is counted as a Warez edition of windows tropic because this nearly cause a Hearth attack to me....
          Welcome to the real world. I'm telling you what decision makers are being told (at all HW vendors, not just AMD), and I'm telling you how that can be changed (get the message back through system and board vendors, make a credible case to *them* that improving Linux support will let them be more successful).

and you still believe in the opensource drivers need to fit into the market-share footprint even if linux is counted as a warez version of "Windows" in other words your company protect the monopole from microsoft up to 100% only because : "opensource drivers need to fit into the market-share footprint"

and your company do not understand the word: "Investment" (yes yes i know they believe they already invest money but there believes are just based on faked market share numbers)
          Wrong on all counts, but I think you know that (or you're not as smart as I think you are).

I have said multiple times that our spending on Linux is proportionally quite a bit larger than the apparent market share (2x a couple of years ago, probably higher now). It's great for you to say "well those market share numbers are faked", but if major system and board builders are saying one thing and some guy named Qaridarium on Phoronix is saying something else then at best you're going to get a decision that "splits the difference". I know you hold me personally responsible for everything we are told by our major customers, but I can't help you with that.

The other point you are missing over and over again is that our proportional spend on Linux is probably higher than that of our major competitors already, and is comparable at the very least. We do spend significant $$ in areas that our major customers don't care about because we know that end users *do* care, and that amount is increasing every year.

I know it's attractive to pick on me because I try to actually discuss the underlying issues with you, and it's nice to imagine that disagreeing with the information I pass on will somehow magically change it back at the source, but I do think that falls into the category of "shooting the messenger" and does no good for anyone other than maybe giving you a big grin as you hit "Submit Reply".
          Last edited by bridgman; 08 June 2012, 09:57 AM.
          Test signature

Comment

bridgeman is my hero

I stillcan't belive people bashing AMD for the huge amounts of effort they put in. Sure, more is always better and I'm sure peopl ealways argue there's more needed. All that said and done, it's remarkable how much AMD _does_ do. Remember, AMD is also the saller 'underdog'. It doesn't have the intel budgets for things. It is still for lack of better word, struggling to keepalive.

So Bridgeman, the messenger, is my hero.

Comment

i personaly think the Wikipdia numbers are the best numbers you can get for "Free" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_s...rating_systems
              I see "1.66%" for Linux. We have separate funding for Android.
              Test signature

Comment

OK, so you're really talking about us "not spending enough on Android" ?
                Test signature

Comment

i talking about you are not spending 12.x% of the windows money to "Linux familyOS"
                  I never claimed we were. Feel free to redefine "Linux" (I was talking about typical PC distros) but don't expect the numbers I gave you before to make sense with your new definitions.

i ask again where are the 10-12% of the " windows" money for the linux family Operating Systems ?
                  See above.

last time a friend checked andorid-Linux on AMD hardware it sucks balls! i really don't care to use ubuntu or android on my PC if i get good opensource drivers! but in fact the andorid-linux-os only get shit crap catalyst bullshit driver because the power-manegment of the radeon driver suck! and the ironic part is they get the same crap catalyst like the ubuntu users. no fucking difference!
                  do we get power-management with opensource drivers on amd hardware if we use andorid instead of ubuntu ?
                  We haven't released Android driver packages so assume you're talking about Android-x86 using the upstream open drivers ? My experience was that the open drivers running with Android-x86 behaved like the open drivers on typical PC distros. Why would you expect anything different ?
                  Last edited by bridgman; 08 June 2012, 12:18 PM.
                  Test signature

Comment

I realy wish bridgman would stop feeding the trolls

One of the reason's all these threads get pulled off topic is because bridgman keeps responding to Q.

Making logical reasonable arguments against a troll does not help anyone - it just feeds them and helps to derail the thread.

Comment

I tried "ignore" for a while but the threads still filled up with Q's posts and the ignore function doesn't really hide them. This doesn't seem much worse, really...

But yeah, maybe this is a good place to stop. I don't feel like this is heading towards a conclusion although sometimes it does.
                      Last edited by bridgman; 08 June 2012, 12:26 PM.
                      Test signature

Comment

Working...
                      X