AMD R600g Still Tackling Hierarchical Z

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
    Looking through the patch, it looks like the patch disables HyperZ by default:

If you run your program (example = glxgears) with
    Code:
    R600_HYPERZ=1 glxgears
    , then maybe performance will change...
    Okay thanks. I didn't bother to look at the patch, just applied it . glxgears works, but that's not really a benchmark. So I tried the benchmark within FEAR. But with R600_HYPERZ=1 it puts the GPU in a state of infinite GPU resets. So no performance data here.

Comment

Originally posted by TemplarGR View Post
      This is one of the rare times i want to complain to opensource devs, but i can't help it. While you have are gratitude for your work, there are some things that shouldn't be happening.

Why HD2000-4000 are second rate citizens? First AMD drops support in Catalyst for them. And while it would make sense to have a focused opensource driver for these generations to provide legacy support, it seems that the opensource driver makes a priority Evergreen and above generations too... A while ago it was the news that Evergreen would have official OpenGl 3.0 support on by default, earlier than the older generations(?), and now from what agd5f says:

a) Either evergreen will have support for hiz first

b) Or hiz support for hd2000-4000 was fine but there were issues on Evergreen so they decided to hold it back...

Either way, it is a bad attitude towards older generation users. Why Evergreen and newer are a priority, when they can use the Catalyst and are much newer chips? Seriously, i own a 3870 and it is about 2 year older than the Evergreen family. When i see that Evergreen matures to OpenGL 3.0 first or gets Hyper-Z(a really important feature) first (not to mention other performance improvements etc) i feel cheated. It is like AMD showing us older generation users to buy newer cards. Well, if that is what they want, it would be better to just ask for it, not this way... And why upgrade? My 3870 does its job perfectly...
      HD2000-HD4000 are not second class citizen, the evergreen fix also apply to R7XX generation (HD4xxx). And all the kernel work on the backend stuff was needed and also impact R7XX and in smaller way R6XX GPU. The commit message might have more emphasis on evergreen but it's just due to the fact that at the time i was on an evergreen. You need to understand that we have many GPU and we keep switching btw generation and sometimes when things start to come into shape we might not stress what it does on all generations.

Comment

Originally posted by AnonymousCoward View Post
        Okay thanks. I didn't bother to look at the patch, just applied it . glxgears works, but that's not really a benchmark. So I tried the benchmark within FEAR. But with R600_HYPERZ=1 it puts the GPU in a state of infinite GPU resets. So no performance data here.
        What GPU ? Where can i download FEAR ?

Comment

Originally posted by glisse View Post
          What GPU ?
          Juniper (5750)

Where can i download FEAR ?
          You can download a demo here

GamersHell is the ultimate destination for gaming news, reviews, previews, videos and more.

It's a Windows game, but works fine on Linux with wine and r600 drivers, except when run with R600_HYPERZ=1.

Comment

I do some tests
            HD 6770

lightsmark 1024
            w/o patch | with patch
            240 | 330
            lightsmark 1920
            130 | 180
            But mesa with this patch 90% of time shows me black screen, only text and one scene is rendered correctly.

R600_HYPERZ=1\0 don't change anything for lightsmark.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              right now if someone enable all new shit the games like hon just crash: http://phoronix.com/forums/showthrea...738#post266738

LLVM compiler+kernel 3,5rc1+pcie2+color tiling+HIZ+openGL3 shader language= crash

maybe its the LLVM compiler but right now its not clear why it does crash.
              v4 had a lot of issue and pretty much only worked with quake3 derivative engine. v6 is lot better but still has issue

Comment

Hope

I hope HiZ and PCI Express 2 (and 3!) gets merged and enabled soon...

Btw, does nouveau support support HiZ and PCI Express 2 (and 3) ?

Comment

well using hiz + 3.5 rc1 + mesa git + llvm compiler

my 4250 igp so far all working good
                  * kwin
                  * nexuiz
                  * 0ad
                  * chromium git all gpu accel options on

my 4850 all seems fine too and xonotic latest run in ultra with mlaa 8x at 60 fps

Comment

Originally posted by jrch2k8 View Post
                    well using hiz + 3.5 rc1 + mesa git + llvm compiler

my 4250 igp so far all working good
                    * kwin
                    * nexuiz
                    * 0ad
                    * chromium git all gpu accel options on

my 4850 all seems fine too and xonotic latest run in ultra with mlaa 8x at 60 fps
                    With all the GPU accel options on can you see Flash videos playing?

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post
                      With all the GPU accel options on can you see Flash videos playing?
                      mmm im more of a webm only guy but so far flash seems to work fine but im using the old plugin not the one embedded in flash

Comment

Working...
                      X