ATI-fglrx 8.29.6 and FC6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by semi View Post
    I have installed libstdc++.so.5, qt-devel wget and the standard development tools and libraries. kerenel devel says it's already installed.
    Is kernel-headers installed?
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

yes it is.

Comment

Did you try removing the contents of /tmp? Similar situation (and resolved) here.
        Michael Larabel

Comment

i have read the other threads about fc6. yup i've tried that and still no luck .

Comment

Sorry if I missed this from a previous post but are you using 32-bit or 64-bit software?

Worst case scenario may be waiting for ATI's next driver release, though it isn't clear right now why you seem to be running into this issue where others have fixed it. Or you could comment out the fireglcontrolpanel portions from the Fedora scripts.
            Michael Larabel

Comment

32 bit. Alright thanks a lot for your help. I guess I mighr just have to wait a month.
              which parts would I edit and in the fglrx-fc6-8296-generator.sh? that sounds like a good idea.
              also where would I find the qt-tools to see if that helps? its not on rpmfind or yum.
              seems there are a couple of other people with the issue in the other thread now too.
              Last edited by semi; 30 October 2006, 07:25 AM.

Comment

You would edit packages/Fedora/ and the packaging script in there.

A month? ATI usually does monthly driver releases and there still hasn't been an October one yet...

See here for more information (basically try manually compiling fireglcontrolpanel from source).
                Last edited by Michael; 30 October 2006, 09:06 AM.
                Michael Larabel

Comment

Composite Extension

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Matthew Davis,

The fglrx drivers presently do not support the Composite extension. With Fedora Core 6 composite is enabled by default, which is why that X option needs to be specified.

For experiencing the benefits of the FC6 desktop effects at this time you would need to use the open-source Radeon drivers (your GPU is supported with the Mobility X300). Or wait for appropriate fglrx support.

If you have any additional questions or comments feel free to post.
                  Hi Michael,
                  I recently installed the ATI driver with the use of your helpful FC6 script (I'm running FC6 on AMD x86_64). I have an ATI Radeon Xpress 200 driver. My fglrxinfo outputs:

display: :0.0 screen: 0
                  OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
                  OpenGL renderer string: RADEON XPRESS Series Generic
                  OpenGL version string: 2.0.6065 (8.29.6)

So the driver is installed and not using mesa for 3d rendering anymore (which is nice) but I too am having the same "compiz: no composite extension" problems that matthewdavis was having:

compiz: No composite extension
                  gnome-window-decorator: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a decoration manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current decoration manager.
                  Xlib: extension "SHAPE" missing on display ":0.0"

So I noticed that you suggested using the open-source radeon drivers, which appearently worked for him. However, I think that my ATI Xpress 200 is not supported with the open-source radeon drivers. So my question is, am I going to have to wait until ati updates their fglrx driver to support the Composite extension? If so, do you know when that might happen? I'd love to get compiz or beryl working, but seem to be stuck at a dead end. Any help would be great. Oh, and thanks for everything you have posted thus far. It has been a moderately exciting, yet unsuccessful trial.

Thanks again,
                  ndavis

Comment

ndavis,

Thank you for your feedback. The Xpress 200/200M is supported by the R300 DRI "Radeon" drivers (see Wiki). There may be some issues though with video memory initialization.

For the fglrx drivers all you can do is wait for the ATI developers to append this support. The 8.30.3 display driver has a smaller version number than normal, so I will let the forum goers speculate whether that means a large release is in the near future for AMD/ATI...

Seeing as you are on the 8.29.6 drivers, the 8.30.3 drivers are available, which address a few bugs.
                    Michael Larabel

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                      ndavis,

Thank you for your feedback. The Xpress 200/200M is supported by the R300 DRI "Radeon" drivers (see Wiki). There may be some issues though with video memory initialization.

For the fglrx drivers all you can do is wait for the ATI developers to append this support. The 8.30.3 display driver has a smaller version number than normal, so I will let the forum goers speculate whether that means a large release is in the near future for AMD/ATI...

Seeing as you are on the 8.29.6 drivers, the 8.30.3 drivers are available, which address a few bugs.

Hello again Michael,
                      Thanks for your quick post. I installed the newer 8.30.3 driver, which went smoothly, but was still stuck with the "no composite extension" problem. So I tried to install the open-source r300 driver, but had an error building it. A quick look at the dri.log file showed:

error: ?struct page? has no member named ?count?

This must have been one of those video memory problems you mentioned. Do you know if there is a work around to this? I couldn't find one googling... If not, I guess I wait for the fglrx driver to get fixed (sigh).

Thanks again very much for your help!
                      ndavis

Comment

Working...
                      X