Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Linux Catalyst: Hardware Owners Screwed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who the hell cares? This only really affects WONDOZE. Catalyst on Linux is in every way inferior to the open source drivers anyway, which are better than any other graphics drivers for any other vendor anyway.

They sky is not falling. AMD is just changing around useless crap that doesn't affect anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by droidhacker View Post
      Who the hell cares? This only really affects WONDOZE. Catalyst on Linux is in every way inferior to the open source drivers anyway, which are better than any other graphics drivers for any other vendor anyway.

They sky is not falling. AMD is just changing around useless crap that doesn't affect anyone.
      It affects me, so I care. The Catalyst drivers are faster anyways, but besides from that the power-management from Catalyst works on my laptop, the one from the free drivers not.
      So I care.

Comment

Originally posted by Gusar View Post
        Dude seriously? Are you going to ask for the link directly to the file next?
        No, I just give you advice to take BDISO and check hardware playback of original stream on your own.

But you, as expected, not going to do that, and you will continue to believe in working hardware playback on Ironlake (somehow it's works, yes, but... ).

Well, if it weren't for this little thing where vsync issues (which aren't directly related to power management, lower clocks just make the already present issue a bit worse) don't mean "no big difference". Intel still has proper power management and AMD doesn't. And with Intel you at least have options to try to mitigate vsync issues.
        On other hand AMD have working vsync. And with AMD you at least have options to try mitigate PM issues (using auto or low power profile).
        C'mon, admit it: you can't call Intel PM that make things worse (and even ususable for someone) using word "proper".

It's the only hook he found for his trolling, so of course he'll use it to the full extent possible.
        Every person who say something like "AMD not worse than Intel" is a troll. As usually, same for people who disagree with you.

Comment

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
          But you, as expected, not going to do that, and you will continue to believe in working hardware playback on Ironlake
          And now you probably think you've scored some victory. Go you!

And with AMD you at least have options to try mitigate PM issues (using auto or low power profile).
          And here, in trying to be funny (har har), is where you lose completely. Even on the low profile, the open driver still consumes more power than Catalyst does. So that's not an "option" for laptop users who want long battery life.

Comment

Gusar, you not answer to this yet:
            you can't call Intel PM that make things worse (and even ususable for someone) using word "proper".

Comment

Gusar, you not answer to this yet:
              And another victory for you!! Man you're on a roll today!! You should get a medal or something.

I could write something to that sentence, it's quite easy. But honestly, seeing how you're counting your victories is way more fun.

Comment

So, whats a good replacement for my old 4770 in the nvidia side, both in performance, consumption, and price?

Comment

Originally posted by YaPeL View Post
                  So, whats a good replacement for my old 4770 in the nvidia side, both in performance, consumption, and price?
                  Well, I was very happy with GT440, which worked perfectly well even with nouveau.

Comment

I could write something to that sentence, it's quite easy.
                    Sure, that because you not write anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                      That was an unnecessarily inflammatory post
                      Agreed, though it was in response to equally unnecessarily narrow-minded knee-jerk reactions.

Comment

Working...
                      X