Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Radeon OpenCL On Linux - Is It That Bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Radeon OpenCL On Linux - Is It That Bad?

Phoronix: AMD Radeon OpenCL On Linux - Is It That Bad?

A story run on Phoronix yesterday was AMD admitting it has Linux problems and are looking to improve the situation. In large part it comes down to improving OpenCL on Linux with the Catalyst driver, but how does the OpenCL Linux performance stand today? Here's some benchmarks to answer that question...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Now if you actually compare the results with the windows version of Catalyst you might be able to determine if the Linux driver are better or worse

Without such comparisons you can't confirm or dispute AMD's comments
    Last edited by FireBurn; 30 May 2012, 06:39 AM. Reason: mention Catalyst

Comment

What about the APUs ?

It would have been nice to see numbers about the A8 APus, since the GPU is supposed to help the CPU with this kind of task on these devices.

Comment

at least we got another german beer picture...

Comment

Blockings adds

I use NoScript and AdBlock Plus, and I do block all ads on Phoronix.
          I will not whitelist ads on Phoronix. I will continue block all ads.

Phoronix without ads blocked have popups, full screen ads, flash ads, and all kinds of stupid shit that makes the site slow as hell to load, the browser lock up, etc.
          If it were unobtrusive lightweight text ads like Google AdWords, maybe I wouldn't block that.

P.S. I feel sorry for all the premium subscribers who have to put up with all beer picture crap.
          P.P.S. Maybe premium subscribers should have an option not to have beer crap in the articles?

Comment

I Miss the CPU result :/

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
              I use NoScript and AdBlock Plus, and I do block all ads on Phoronix.
              I will not whitelist ads on Phoronix. I will continue block all ads.

Phoronix without ads blocked have popups, full screen ads, flash ads, and all kinds of stupid shit that makes the site slow as hell to load, the browser lock up, etc.
              If it were unobtrusive lightweight text ads like Google AdWords, maybe I wouldn't block that.

P.S. I feel sorry for all the premium subscribers who have to put up with all beer picture crap.
              P.P.S. Maybe premium subscribers should have an option not to have beer crap in the articles?
              Premium Subscriber here... I don't mind beer on the site as it helps me learn about new varieties to try (or make).

Comment

Originally posted by Nille View Post
                I Miss the CPU result :/
                Me too. I would like to know how the CPU compares to the 6450 (low-end card).

Comment

After having read things, and I know people around here love to misinterpret, but the original source is more about supporting OpenCL in terms of availability and allowing developers to use it easier, and not about improving the performance of the OpenCL implementation (not that the later wouldn't be welcome from any company). Important distinction there, and something that wasn't made clear enough I think.

Comment

Another Premium subscriber here. I don't mind the beer either since I'm also a beer aficionado, even though it gets a bit thick sometimes. What really pisses me off is the lack of automatic login for the site.
                    I have to go to the forum every time I enter the site to get rid of the ads (I do block them though) and extra "Upgrade to premium now!" stuff, as well as being able to see an article on one page.

Automatic login is still the number one feature the site lacks.

btw, why no Radeon 4000-series?

Comment

Working...
                    X