X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ansla
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Currently the proprietary drivers (all of them AFAIK) replace a lot of the open source graphics stack with proprietary interfaces. Until similar improvements are made in the generic open source framework, which *will* take a fair amount of time and effort, there will be gaps between open source and proprietary stacks. I am agitating internally for our proprietary driver folks to help where they can by pushing enhancements into the common framework where possible, and should know the outcome in early 2013.
    Are you talking about improving the kernel KMS/DRM code to the point Catalyst can use it instead of its own kernel blob or was that about other parts of the graphics stack?

Leave a comment:

• 89c51
    replied
    Does airlied means that there is not enough documentation to fully exploit the PM capabilities or i am reading something the wrong way??

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I guess you're right about motivation, although I don't think either agd5f or I expected you to be the one working on the current PM implementation.

That said, a lot of initial implementations are written knowing that they may be replaced at some point (eg the initial r600g shader compiler), but those initial implementations still provide useful functionality for long enough to justify the effort. For better or for worse I did expect that someone would see PM the same way and push it ahead during the last couple of years, although it's clear now that was a bad assumption on my part.
    Last edited by bridgman; 25 May 2012, 08:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    Hmm, that doesn't sound right. There should be significant differences between profiles.

There are some systems where the vendors only added a single power setting in the VBIOS (which means more complex code is needed in the kernel driver) but I didn't think we had those with HD3200. Might ask you to file a bugzilla ticket with a VBIOS dump, will see what agd5f suggests.

Power management doesn't seem to be one of those areas that community developers work in for fun (as libv pointed out recently) so we might have to go back and give that code another kick.
    I don't think thats fair at all, the problem is the hw is capable of doing much more, so if I spent 2-3 months making dynpm better, it would all be thrown away when we actually get to what the hw can do. The fact I know what the hw can do means I've no incentive to work on half-assed approaches just because AMD don't want to tell anyone that their pm hw works nearly exactly like the nvidia pm hw.

Dave.

Leave a comment:

• log0
    replied
    Does every fcking thread have to end like this? Guys there is a function called "Ignore List". Use it!

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    also Bridgman should be proud of his enemies and maybe his colleagues are proud about his skill in fighting against open source fan-boys ?
    Someone has a high opinion of themselves. It's you.

I'm pretty sure he doesn't give you a second thought when he's not on these forums.

Leave a comment:

• RussianNeuroMancer
    replied
    Are you sure you are enabling power profiles ? Which profile are you using -- either mid or low should be OK on most HD3200 systems.

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature#...gement_Options
    Oh, by the way, may you please look into this bugreport? https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43114
    Maybe I do something wrong?

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Qaridarium
    In my point of view Bridgman insult and hurt Linux and Open-source users many times and if you stand up against this you break a Linux forum rule?

He has earned my contempt hard.
    bridgman is hardly the only person you've attacked.

Anyway, if Michael doesn't care to enforce the forum rules, then really there are no forum rules. So you're fine.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    As Qaridarium is constantly breaking the forum rules 1 and 2:

...should he be banned already? I mean I can't be the only one who is completely fed up with this shit and it also severely damages the image of the forum.
    I brought that same thing up a few months ago, but I don't think Michael cares about people breaking the forum rules.

Leave a comment:

• Linuxhippy
    replied
    Originally posted by Teho View Post
    ...should he be banned already?
    Yes, please ban him.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X