2013: A Good Year For Open-Source AMD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 89c51 View Post
    But nagging about open-souce support is useless.
    No. Being whiny, clueless. anonymous id-gits with a hugely over-inflated and entirely undeserved sense of entitlement complaining bitterly about things they don't understand is useless.

What makes some "persons" worse then useless is when they going around berating, hounding and generally trying to browbeat people that actually have some purpose in life, the ability to contribute something of value, and have some substance as a human being just because the aforementioned 'persons' don't immediately get everything they want for doing absolutely nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
      Might ask you to file a bugzilla ticket with a VBIOS dump, will see what agd5f suggests.
      OK, will do that as soon as I find out how to make a VBIOS dump.

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyCyborg View Post
        @bridgman

What happened in MUX A+A PowerExpress support beyond Linux Catalyst 11.8?

Is there any chance that that PowerExpress support once again become functional soon?

I have a laptop where sits unused one HD5650 video card, and I am therefore obliged to use the on-board HD4200. Not really funny because that HD5650 wasn't gratis...
        My understanding was that it worked OK with one or two specific systems and failed badly on the rest, but that's just third-hand information. What I'm told is that the implementation details of the mux'ed PX systems varied pretty widely from one vendor to the nextso our PX specs included a requirement for a BIOS switch between integrated / discrete / auto if the vendor wanted to support anything other than Win7. Problem is that the BIOS switch didn't get implemented anywhere near as widely as we hoped. I assume your system doesn't have such an option ?

My impression was that the open source drivers had a workable solution for muxed systems and it was really muxless where there was no immediate solution so Catalyst had to implement something -- have you tried the open source drivers on your system ?

Note that my knowledge of Catalyst has been dropping rapidly over the last year, so I don't really have any particularly good answers. It might not hurt to give the bugzilla ticket another polite kick and ask for a workaround at minimum:

Some OEMs have issued BIOS updates which add the BIOS switch function so definitely ping the system vendor as well.
        Last edited by bridgman; 24 May 2012, 07:25 PM.
        Test signature

Comment

in other words: you are not a friend to "opensource" and your blueray player and your windows vista computer and your behavior prove this.
          We can take you seriously again if you sell your windows vista computer (better trash it in the garbage) also sell your blue ray player and then prise the opensource market share grow every day.
          Could you please stop your pointless accusations and thread-hijacking?!

Comment

As Qaridarium is constantly breaking the forum rules 1 and 2:

01.) Absolutely no flaming, name calling, sexual harassment, or other personal attacks will be permitted. Respect everyone, including the moderators and administrators.

02.) No thread jacking will be permitted.
            ...should he be banned already? I mean I can't be the only one who is completely fed up with this shit and it also severely damages the image of the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
              OK, will do that as soon as I find out how to make a VBIOS dump.
              This approach worked fine here (R770).

Currently math_b is currently looking at the mobility cards BIOS's to do some EDID stuff. Adam Jackson (ajax) gave him a dump of his Mobility M7 and agd5f will give him dumps of rv350 and rv100. Now some of the readers might wonder how to dump a Radeon BIOS. It's actually pretty simple on Linux 2.6…

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                ...should he be banned already?
                Yes, please ban him.

Comment

Originally posted by Teho View Post
                  As Qaridarium is constantly breaking the forum rules 1 and 2:

...should he be banned already? I mean I can't be the only one who is completely fed up with this shit and it also severely damages the image of the forum.
                  I brought that same thing up a few months ago, but I don't think Michael cares about people breaking the forum rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    In my point of view Bridgman insult and hurt Linux and Open-source users many times and if you stand up against this you break a Linux forum rule?

He has earned my contempt hard.
                    bridgman is hardly the only person you've attacked.

Anyway, if Michael doesn't care to enforce the forum rules, then really there are no forum rules. So you're fine.

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                      Are you sure you are enabling power profiles ? Which profile are you using -- either mid or low should be OK on most HD3200 systems.

http://www.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature#...gement_Options
                      Oh, by the way, may you please look into this bugreport? https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=43114
                      Maybe I do something wrong?

Comment

Working...
                      X