No announcement yet.

EXA Acceleration For The Old ATI Rage Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh, my 600Mhz G3 iBook had a ATI Rage GPU, it could handle Warcraft 3, Aliens Vs Predator, Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2, Sacrifice and allot of others, all at 640x480 or 800x600 but they did run.

Comment

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      I'd definitely like to see someone re-add support for r100-r200 and 3dfx to mesa
      R100 and R200 support wasn't dropped. These drivers are "classic" drivers, but they're DRI*2*. It was the DRI1 drivers (all of which happened to be "classic" that were dropped.)

Originally posted by Veerappan View Post
      Does anyone know if Gallium3D has been tested on non-X86 (32 and 64bit)? I've got a 3DFX Voodoo3 in my Alpha 21164 (PWS 500?) that I've been meaning to finish the Gentoo install on... It's a pile of archaic hardware, but still a project to work on...
      Yes. R300g and R600g work on Alpha.

3DFX cards are not Gallium-compatible. Gallium assumes that the card has programmable shaders, which Voodoos don't have.

If you're interested in Alphas, join #alpha and #gentoo-alpha on Freenode. I'm always there and I'm a Gentoo/Alpha developer. I would set my title to Gentoo Developer (instead of "Senior Member") or something, but I don't know how.

Comment

Hmm i know where to find almost 10 iMac with Rage video cards, wonder if they would be of any use today...
        Last edited by AJenbo; 29 April 2012, 06:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AJenbo View Post
          Hmm i know where to find a almost 10 iMac with Rage video cards, wonder if they would be of any use today...
          A word of warning: lots of old Macs had Rage-series cards, but the cards were actually supported by the even older Mach64 driver.

Comment

Yeah I have tinkered with them from time to time and only ever godt it working decently with Ubuntu 10.04 but still had to mess with the xorg.conf to get the right resolutions.

Comment

Fold into radeon driver

What should have happened was to fold the r128 driver into the radeon driver, bringing a whole bunch of benefits at once. Alex Deucher had a whole tree dedicated to this, which to my knowledge was permanently lost after a freedesktop.org hosting failure Did anybody copy or backup that code?

Comment

I have few old machines (Alpha architecture, Compaq Alphastation XP1000 to be precise) which uses Parmedia 2 chipset (Texas Instruments TVP4020), and I think this card was called ELSA Gloria. They use glint Xorg driver (with XAA acceleration). I would love to port it to EXA, but unfortunetly glint driver is very big, because it supports lots of chipsets designed by 3dlabs. Is there anybody already porting glint to EXA?

Comment

Originally posted by stan View Post
                  What should have happened was to fold the r128 driver into the radeon driver, bringing a whole bunch of benefits at once. Alex Deucher had a whole tree dedicated to this, which to my knowledge was permanently lost after a freedesktop.org hosting failure Did anybody copy or backup that code?
                  I still had a local copy.

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
                    I have few old machines (Alpha architecture, Compaq Alphastation XP1000 to be precise) which uses Parmedia 2 chipset (Texas Instruments TVP4020), and I think this card was called ELSA Gloria. They use glint Xorg driver (with XAA acceleration). I would love to port it to EXA, but unfortunetly glint driver is very big, because it supports lots of chipsets designed by 3dlabs. Is there anybody already porting glint to EXA?
                    The performance will most likely be better with shadowfb than EXA. The 3D capabilities of those cards were pretty limited. The reason XAA is pretty fast is because it's mostly software rendering because it does not provide hooks to accelerate anything modern (no ping-ponging between sw and hw).

Comment

Originally posted by baryluk View Post
                      No. It's really better worth your time to buy a PCI Radeon instead of using a Permedia 2. You can even get a PCI Radeon HD 5450.

If for some reason someone actually cared significantly about glint, they should probably start with a KMS driver.

Comment

Working...
                      X