AMD Catalyst 12.4 Linux Graphics Driver Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asdx
    Does it have support for KMS, VDPAU, Wayland, etc?
    Quit trolling you know damn well that there is not one driver in the linux world that has all those 3 features.

Comment

Originally posted by zzarko View Post
      And still no working sleep mode... Nice...
      Really? Which card do you have? I only had problems with the 12.2 release all the others for me had no problems with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ragas View Post
        Really? Which card do you have? I only had problems with the 12.2 release all the others for me had no problems with that.
        I can't talk for this driver version yet, but my laptops been unable to wake up from sleep with half the catalyst drivers I've use. Even when i get a version that seems to work most of the time it still fails on a significant number of wake ups. Fails enough that i'd ideally have to disable sleep or risk having to forcible restart my laptop and loose unsaved work. I've had the laptop in question for a few years now and have experienced the problem in numerous distros. My cards a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4350

Comment

Originally posted by Nevertime View Post
          I can't talk for this driver version yet, but my laptops been unable to wake up from sleep with half the catalyst drivers I've use. Even when i get a version that seems to work most of the time it still fails on a significant number of wake ups. Fails enough that i'd ideally have to disable sleep or risk having to forcible restart my laptop and loose unsaved work. I've had the laptop in question for a few years now and have experienced the problem in numerous distros. My cards a ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4350
          and does the wake up from sleep work with the default Radeon driver (not Catalyst)? On my desktop computer with AsRock motherboard neither works (maybe because of my cheap motherboard). On my notebook with Radeon IGP 3200 the default driver works (have no idea if Catalyst 12.4 would work too).

Comment

If you have got a system that never resumes correctly try a better psu. It is not necessarly needed that you have to use a stronger psu, just try a different one. I had a noname 500w psu connected to a core 2 system and it never resumed correctly. replaced that by a 370w bequiet and it worked. Also updateing the bios can help. I had several month issues with resume with a q67 board booted in efi mode, but mbr mode worked until a bios update fixed it. So try that as well - if you think its the gfx card: use a different one. I literally have got a stack of gfx cards (mainly low power ones) so i can try different ones in case of problems or when i want to debug specific cases. If you have got only 1 card thats of course not optimal...

Comment

Originally posted by solo2101 View Post
              anyone tried the driver on 59xx?
              Yep, got it running on Arch Linux with my 5970. Only problem I'm having is when I maximize a terminal in XFCE it blacks out the bottom launcher panel. Doesn't happen with maximizing any other windows as far as I can tell. Just a terminal. I don't know if this bug is new in 12.4 or not. This is my first shot at the proprietary driver. Anyone know a fix?

Comment

Working fine here in a muxless intel+amd HP laptop. Suspends ok, switches ok from intel to amd and back, good performance. No major complaints apart from no xorg-server-1.12 support.

Comment

Originally posted by zequav View Post
                  Working fine here in a muxless intel+amd HP laptop. Suspends ok, switches ok from intel to amd and back, good performance. No major complaints apart from no xorg-server-1.12 support.
                  What generation of your Intel GPU? Ironlake or Sandy?

Comment

Originally posted by Fenrin View Post
                    and does the wake up from sleep work with the default Radeon driver (not Catalyst)? On my desktop computer with AsRock motherboard neither works (maybe because of my cheap motherboard). On my notebook with Radeon IGP 3200 the default driver works (have no idea if Catalyst 12.4 would work too).
                    under radeon drivers my laptop wakes from sleep perfectly every time. However my laptop can over heat under heavy use when using radeon drivers so i use catalyst drivers.

Comment

This driver still needs to be patched for kernel 3.2.8 and higher, although the simple patch was released on this forums over two months ago. Nice work, AMD, this is how to drive people away from buying your hardware.

Comment

Working...
                      X