• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoronix
    started a topic New "NV30" Nouveau Driver Still Causes Pain

New "NV30" Nouveau Driver Still Causes Pain

Phoronix: New "NV30" Nouveau Driver Still Causes Pain

One week ago following the committing of the major libdrm re-write for the Nouveau project, the "NVFX" Gallium3D driver was dropped and succeeded by a new "NV30" driver for the GeForce FX/6/7 series GPUs. Unfortunately, for at least some hardware, this Nouveau support is still a busted mess...

http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=MTA5MDc

• Rigaldo
    replied
    So ..
    Why was this moved to the AMD forum?

Leave a comment:

• oldcpu
    replied
    Noveau driver in 3.7.x kernel has problems with NV30

This is an old thread - but the NV30 functionality with the nouveau took a step back with the latest 3.7.x kernel (it worked better on the 3.6.11 kernel).

I wrote a bug report here on it : https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=60516

Leave a comment:

• orome
    replied
    does this: http://cgit.freedesktop.org/mesa/mes...e354a49f3b013f
    fix the problems? when do you have another oldies benchmark planned?

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post
    I lol'd because this is so true. Still, if people don't like what Michael has to say they should just stop reading his site.
    It's our form of bug reporting

Leave a comment:

• Qaridarium
    replied
    why is this nvidia shit in the amd (opensource)part of the forum? "New "NV30" Nouveau Driver Still Causes Pain" ? ?????????????

edit: this "michael" blaming is really stupid like any other human he need money if he need to go to work for money he can not write articles. And blaming him because he is so rude to the opensource driver? lol its like my fan club here on phoronix they also blame me and call me animal names because of all kind of stuff and i'm not so difference to michael i just write what i think.
    Last edited by Qaridarium; 04-24-2012, 01:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• smitty3268
    replied
    Originally posted by pingufunkybeat View Post
    At the moment, it's "Mesa can only do OpenGL3, and there is still OpenGL 3.1, 3.2. 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, etc, they are hopelessly behind and a pile of steaming shit", which is then followed by "Wayland does a Hello World! This is a huge milestone! It's replacing X! Daffodils! A tiling window manager OMG!!!! It's already better than X, which only has 143224 tiling Window managers! Such progress!"
    I lol'd because this is so true. Still, if people don't like what Michael has to say they should just stop reading his site.

Leave a comment:

• FireBurn
    replied
    Originally posted by airlied View Post
    is there a google+ style +1 button?
    Best. Comment. Ever!

Leave a comment:

• airlied
    replied
    Originally posted by asdx
    Wow this Michael guy is a fucking cunt.
    is there a google+ style +1 button?

Leave a comment:

• pingufunkybeat
    replied
    Michael, the problem is that you are continually and consistently shitting on open drivers. Regardless of what happens, you inevitably conclude that Mesa is shit, worthless, hopelessly behind and that the developers are useless.

With other projects, like Wayland or Clang, you are full of praise. When wayland manages to not lock up, you praise it as the future, the successor to X, the best thing since sliced bread, and the only way forward (tm). When Mesa achieves 80% performance of a blob, you call it hopelessly outdated, years late, too far to catch up, etc. It's ridiculous. If you applied your Mesa attitude to Wayland, Clang, brtfs, Unigine, or some other pet project of yours, it would make for very amusing articles.

At the moment, it's "Mesa can only do OpenGL3, and there is still OpenGL 3.1, 3.2. 3.2, 4.0, 4.1, etc, they are hopelessly behind and a pile of steaming shit", which is then followed by "Wayland does a Hello World! This is a huge milestone! It's replacing X! Daffodils! A tiling window manager OMG!!!! It's already better than X, which only has 143224 tiling Window managers! Such progress!"

It's getting silly and tiring. How about simply posting benchmarks (make sure you do them right), and then let the readers decide whether full OpenGL 3.0 support out of the box is a steaming pile of shit or not. At the and of the day, Mesa can run 99% of all software ever released for Linux, most of it with acceptable performance, and Wayland, well, can't.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X