Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD To Drop Radeon HD 2000/3000/4000 Catalyst Support

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    There is also a separate, less frequent stream of releases for the 2000-4000 GPUs :

    http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...yproducts.aspx

    Phoronix article at :

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tem&px=MTEzNDA

    Plus the open source drivers, as others have already mentioned.
    Will this driver ever leave beta state? Will there be a version that supports xserver > 1.12? Or newer kernels?

    Comment


    • Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
      I just upgraded to 12.10 and no longer have amd driver support for my 3470 [..].
      Ubuntu 12.04 is LTS. You could stick for years with it, if you depend on catalyst...

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Ren H?ek View Post
        Ubuntu 12.04 is LTS. You could stick for years with it, if you depend on catalyst...
        And leave out all future developments in software and kernel just because AMD decided that the hardware they still sell as the top of the line integrated video solution for their flagship CPUs is legacy hardware and supported by the OSS driver well enough (which it is unarguably not)?
        Really?

        Comment


        • Originally posted by BO$$ View Post
          I just upgraded to 12.10 and no longer have amd driver support for my 3470. I hope that the amd driver team gets cancer and their children get raped by filthy gypsies and their mothers get struck by lightnings while working in a whorehouse. Fuck you AMD! Fuck you! How can I get a refund you motherfuckers you stole my money you losers! AMD just fucking die already you with your shitty decisions and your shitty cpus.
          I love this guy

          AMD SUXXXXXXX ASS

          Comment


          • @bridgman

            When you look at

            http://packages.ubuntu.com/quantal/xserver-xorg-core

            Do you notice that u 12.10 uses xserver 1.13? It has nothing to do with legacy or not in that case, there exists no official driver at all! Of course you need updates for "both". But please use control file from 12-4 driver for any update to the 12.6legacy driver (which was in fact 12-5).

            Comment


            • Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
              And leave out all future developments in software and kernel just because AMD decided that the hardware they still sell as the top of the line integrated video solution for their flagship CPUs is legacy hardware and supported by the OSS driver well enough (which it is unarguably not)?
              Really?
              It's not like you won't get software updates at all...

              If your system is running and you stick with your hardware, you won't need the newest kernel to support your hardware.
              Sure, you might miss some features...
              ...but it's not like you are completely stranded. You still have the choice.

              Comment


              • "You still have the choice. "

                yep, and you can still run newer kernels with the generic vesa driver or shadowfb, like I'm doing now, lolololol

                I'm just happy that now it's not only the first generations of radeons that have been sodomized.
                Last edited by Pallidus; 13 September 2012, 08:24 AM.

                Comment


                • Well do not worry, every ati owner has got the same problem Maybe open your laptop and look if the gfx part could be replaced.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by TobiSGD View Post
                    Will this driver ever leave beta state?
                    It already has. All you have to do is go to AMD's website and look up the drivers.

                    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...eon_linux.aspx gives you 12.6 (non-beta)

                    Will there be a version that supports xserver > 1.12? Or newer kernels?
                    Most likely, although there is no guarantee and it probably won't be timely. It will happen when AMD's corporate partners request it.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Ren H?ek View Post
                      It's not like you won't get software updates at all...

                      If your system is running and you stick with your hardware, you won't need the newest kernel to support your hardware.
                      Sure, you might miss some features...
                      ...but it's not like you are completely stranded. You still have the choice.
                      Nope, I don't have the choice. I don't have the choice to run a 3.5 or 3.6 kernel to test the latest btrfs or whatever is new in those kernels.
                      Because AMD thinks I don't need to.
                      In the past I have always recommended AMD and I use AMD in two of my machines (CPU and video). With behavior like this they have lost me as a customer for the future.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X