real fglrx 12.3 released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    The PCI IDs in the code determine which hardware the driver will *try* to run on. The code might work perfectly, or be buggy, or fail to run at all.

The PCI IDs in the control file show which hardware the driver has passed QA on.

Once testing and bug fixing on specific hardware is completed, the IDs in the control file are updated to reflect that these binaries form a production driver for the hardware it's running on, whereas previously it displayed a "hey this might run but be aware it's not a production driver" message.

The time and effort is not to add IDs to the control file (that's all automated anyways) but to do the testing, bug fixing and re-testing required to pass QA on the hardware and make it appropriate to mark the resulting binaries as production-ready in the control file.
    When are they planning to do QA to make sure power management doesn't crash the X server and that creating an OpenGL context doesn't panic the kernel sometimes?

Both of those are issues on Ubuntu with Catalyst. Can you have one of your devs let his monitor go to sleep a few times and make sure it comes back up? BTW, if you need to know what monitors do it, I have a Westinghouse monitor from 2008 and a Samsung monitor from 2011 that both have the same exact issue.

Edit, it happens with two cards as well, a 4670 and a 5670.
    Last edited by DaemonFC; 29 March 2012, 03:32 AM.

Comment

On my aspire with hd4200 I run a java application for charting, the speed difference between this driver and the radeon is so big I don't understand it, fglrx simply is unusable.
      it's probably what you call 2d

Comment

gnome-shell random freezes

Still random freezes in gnome-shell, back to free radeon driver. One would have thought that by now AMD would have sorted that problem. Apparently not so. Shame....

Comment

At least we can use xf86-video-intel-2.18 now (those of us on laptops with dual muxless intel + amd GPU). With 12.2 we were stuck on 2.15.

Comment

found a solution to intel iGP no direct rendering

I've found a solution for getting the gnome-shell working when switch to iGP card through aticonfig or CCC. Now I have gnome-shell runing in iGP without tearing and XBMC runing over iGP with an acceptable performance!

It's a weird thing done by AMD fglrx driver during installation, but to make sure it'll work, let's verify if you have the same diagnostic:
            First thing is about glxinfo, if it show no direct rendering, just execute this command:
            Code:
             LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose; glxinfo
            the first output lines, if appears a lot of 'libGL errors' like below:

libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/swrast_dri.so failed
            libGL error: dlopen /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/i915_dri.so failed

if you saw, there's an i915 dri driver that couldn't be loaded for some reason. As you can see, the directory is /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri/ but, if you ls this directory you will not see more than one driver named
            fglrx_dri.so

So, I've figured out that when fglrx driver installs it changes the LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH to its own particular path, such that is: /usr/lib/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri

if you write the command below you'll see the output like above:

Code:
             echo $LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
            the output will be something like that: /usr/lib/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri

if you have the same output as above you just have to add the directory where is the intel dri drivers, lets do that!
            as you can see in this file : /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx

Code:
            $ gksu gedit /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx
            Code:
             LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=/usr/lib/fglrx/dri 
            if [ `uname -m` = 'x86_64' ]; then 
              if [ -d /usr/lib32/fglrx/dri ]; then 
                LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri
                if [ ! -z $LD_LIBRARY_PATH ]; then 
            	LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH: 
                fi 
                LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}/usr/lib32 
                export LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
              fi 
            fi 
            export LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH
            in the fourth line you have the LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH defined as: /usr/lib/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri
            if you have the same as above, just add the following path in that fourth line:

for x86_64 (64 bits): /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/

for x86 (32 bits) linux: /usr/lib32/dri/

just add is with a ?:? (without quotes) in the end of 4th line to get the direct render working!
            The file will be like this:
            File /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx for 64 bits (x86_64) linux:
            Code:
                LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri 
                fi 
                export LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
              fi 
            fi 
            File /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx for 32 bits (x86) linux:
            Code:
                LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=${LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH}:/usr/lib32/fglrx/dri://usr/lib32/dri
                fi 
                export LD_LIBRARY_PATH 
              fi 
            fi 
            then save the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/10fglrx (must have root privileges) and reboot your system

then
            Code:
             $ glxinfo | egrep render
            and check it out if you'll have direct rendering!
            Voil?! Shaazaam! Works

I've got gnome-shell loading and working sweeeeeeeeeetly!! XBMC also are working sweeeeetly and without video tearing! Good bye cruel World!!!!

Can someone tell me if Unity 3D works?

Comment

Working...
            X