X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zbiggy
    replied
    What is wrong with AMD?

What is wrong with AMD? Why it always sucks?
    Nvidia's current driver's size is 34MB AMD Catalyst for Linux: 100MB
    -Nvidia: complete video acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2 (a.k.a MPEG-4 ASP), VC-1/WMV9 and H.264) 4K resolution / QFHD video decoding at up to 3840 x 2160 pixels, including MVC (Multiview Video Coding H.264 decoding support for Blu-ray 3D and other Full HD 3D at 1080p: vdpau which since beginning works great and in every player.

AMD: created XvBA with simple MPEG-2, H.264 and VC-1. None player uses this so XvBA is useless which means it could not exist at all. And do not tell me about wrapper to vaapi because I can have intel gpu for free with direct support for vaapi. So why complicating life with wrapper?

KDE compositing: OpenGL 3 (that?s for us only the NVIDIA blob at the moment, fglrx is only usable with OpenGL 1.x in the composited case which will be dropped in next release)

AMD still lags behind X org releases for months if not years. Nvidia and Intel on time or even some time before.

2D: Nvidia stable, no major bugs, full X-Render acceleration. AMD x-video tearing, no X-render.

What AMD put in this 100MB driver if it is so limited and underdeveloped? Why people still buy Radeons if they are so crappy? You can get Intel with more capabilities and stability for free and Nvidia with much more features for some money more.
    -

Leave a comment:

• devius
    replied
    Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
    Can you ask someone to look into the DPMS issue where it doesn't resume monitors from sleep mode and quits responding to the keyboard? I've ran into so many people with that problem that I know it has to be wide spread. Is there any QA that goes into FGLRX besides referring to Lindows and XFree86 and calling Linux "like DOS"? It just seems that if I run into things like this after 5 minutes, then you'd think someone at AMD would as well.
    To be fair I never ran into that bug with my measly HD4200, but another Atom netbook I have was having that exact same problem. Maybe it's not a fglrx problem directly?

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Originally posted by adrenochrome View Post
    traditional http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...ded_linux.aspx is not official enough ?
    That looks like an embedded driver build rather than a regular Catalyst (consumer 2-ID) build, so it's going to be configured and tested for embedded SKUs.

Not sure which driver sacridex is referring to, but there's a decent chance that the embedded driver would show watermarks on consumer SKUs.

Leave a comment:

• pinguinpc
    replied
    In my case works good (works xv acceleration in 720p and 1080p h.264 used in UMPlayer and VLC 2.0.1), this drivers appears in repository 8.960

My specs machine is:

Lubuntu 12.04 daily bulid 22 march 32 bits

CPU: AMD A4 3300 2.5Ghz

IGP: ATI Radeon HD6410D 512MB shared memory

RAM: 4 gb ram 2x2 1333 DDRIII

DD: 320gb 7200

Leave a comment:

• sacridex
    replied
    sigh

Sigh...
    still not working with precise.
    It says unsupported hardware(in the bottom right corner of the screen), i have a HD 4350.

Leave a comment:

• adrenochrome
    replied
    traditional http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownloa...ded_linux.aspx is not official enough ?

Leave a comment:

• Sarvatt
    replied
    These are indeed 12.4 series drivers, not 12.3

Leave a comment:

• DaemonFC
    replied
    Please cite this bug report if you can.

Leave a comment:

• DaemonFC
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    I'm not expected to keep track of it -- my job is on the open source side

Seriously, I'm not involved at all with fglrx development or release, although I do occasionally remind our folks about the need for off-cycle driver posts to enable Linux on new GPUs.
    Can you ask someone to look into the DPMS issue where it doesn't resume monitors from sleep mode and quits responding to the keyboard? I've ran into so many people with that problem that I know it has to be wide spread. Is there any QA that goes into FGLRX besides referring to Lindows and XFree86 and calling Linux "like DOS"? It just seems that if I run into things like this after 5 minutes, then you'd think someone at AMD would as well.

That bundle has so many bugs I don't know how you can call it suitable for production systems.

When I walk away from my system and the monitor goes to sleep, I shouldn't have to hold in my power button to make the system shut down because the "production ready" driver can't get DPMS right. At least I can't see people being amused by that.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    I'm not expected to keep track of it -- my job is on the open source side

Seriously, I'm not involved at all with fglrx development or release, although I do occasionally remind our folks about the need for off-cycle driver posts to enable Linux on new GPUs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X