AMD Publishes Open-Source HD 7000, Trinity Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kraftman View Post
    Those are the words of truth. However, even with Catalyst Linux desktop is quite usable.
    Yeah, words of the truth. Difference is - if you use nvidia, you use linux 100% for everything. I like this truth much better. If I?d prefer windows, I would use it 100% for everything - this is possible with amd & nvidia, but reverse possible only on nvidia. Less choice with AMD.

Comment

Happy happy

Wooohooo, to me it's all progressing nicely, it ain't perfect but there's a limit to what can be done by just a few people.
      The floss drivers are working way better for me than catalyst, though I don't care about or use opengl.

The performance of normal gtk or qt is still lower than what I'd think is possible, and seems slower than nicely implemented software rendering (unless you're trying to do highres alpha blending).

Originally posted by Qaridarium
      its really sad michael@phoronix do not understand computer benchmarking

synthetic benchmarks like unigine heaven are invalid!

benchmarks like Quake3 are invalid because NO ONE USE MORE THAN 200FPS!
      200fps only because stereoscopic view and 100fps per eye.

Micheael really need to chance his benchmarks in a way that they are usefull.

this means Unigine-Oil-rush instead of unigine heaven

this means doom3 instead of quake3

this means all results over 200fps market as invalid result. (no joke its not valid!)

more compute tests like openCL-Bitcoin a raytracing realtime engine openCL test.

more wine tests with engines like TA-spring.

and wine test with ARMA2-Free edition-
      The benchmarks are a bit crappy but really there aren't too many options.
      The main gripe I have is the lack of any analysis, or practical conclusions.
      For example there wasn't (or I missed it, which admitedly is possible) a test of the benefits of HT on compilation time, and in my experience it seems pretty significant.
      When something weird happens the guys at anandtech, techreport, etc. usually try to undertstand what's going on, explain it or at least give some guesses.
      Then again on linux you get very weird results just about all the time, and this is probably one of the greater weaknesses of linux (though at least we have lots of ways to fix stuff).
      I'm guessing the lack of analysis is due to lack of time, so we should probably try doing some benchmarks on our own and submit them so Michael has a bit of breathing room.
      All in all he is doing a lot of work, which I really really appreciate.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
        No, never. Better I use VM, but I want to use linux without being forced by video card drivers into installing something I don?t want.
        I didn't mean to imply that you do, but there are many who want/need just that. For those, buying a 7850 may well be the best choice, not a waste of money at all.

Comment

I have already bought the 7750, I want to test it well with g3dvl:-D

Comment

Originally posted by HokTar View Post
            This is all very nice and I know that one can't do everything in the same time but power management is like a bastard son for the last two years...
            This! Until when we can have the luxury named power management? Sleep?

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
              Because of this, I just ordered a 7850 card.

I'm hoping to hit at this level too.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                This! Until when we can have the luxury named power management? Sleep?
                Yeah, unfortunately I can't use these drivers other than for testing purposes due to missing power management.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
                  Yeah, unfortunately I can't use these drivers other than for testing purposes due to missing hardware acceleration support.
                  FTFY

(note: I'm talking about the Trinity/Southern Island drivers, NOT Northern Islands and earlier. I agree with your sentiment in the latter case, although I used (past tense; I no longer have my Evergreen card) the r600g driver on my desktop for several months before I got my 7970.)

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
                    FTFY
                    (note: I'm talking about the Trinity/Southern Island drivers, NOT Northern Islands and earlier. I agree with your sentiment in the latter case, although I used (past tense; I no longer have my Evergreen card) the r600g driver on my desktop for several months before I got my 7970.)
                    I really hope it's happy ending for us. As for me and other that have notebook using AMD HD 6xxx model, using linux + radeon open source driver is a no go. Lack Hardware Acc, lack power management, etc. Most of the time I use windows 7 on my Asus 1215B 'cause of that.

My next lappie's Intel one cause theirs better in that [HW acc, Pow. Manag.] front. Will go AMD route if they have same driver capability over Intel.

Comment

Originally posted by t.s. View Post
                      I really hope it's happy ending for us. As for me and other that have notebook using AMD HD 6xxx model, using linux + radeon open source driver is a no go. Lack Hardware Acc, lack power management, etc. Most of the time I use windows 7 on my Asus 1215B 'cause of that.

My next lappie's Intel one cause theirs better in that [HW acc, Pow. Manag.] front. Will go AMD route if they have same driver capability over Intel.
                      Yeah; the Linux AMD driver support is why I've been using Intel IGPs in my laptops for years.

Comment

Working...
                      X