No announcement yet.

AMD Publishes Open-Source HD 7000, Trinity Code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is all very nice and I know that one can't do everything in the same time but power management is like a bastard son for the last two years...

Comment

Originally posted by allquixotic View Post
      Thanks for reading. This is purely an informational post; I'm not going to cock an attitude here -- except to say that, by the Powers That Be, I really hope that HD 7000 support matures significantly faster. That is all.
      Well, thanks for the good summary, that was something worth reading. I really think we are going to make it faster this time, but hey it is only the second major generation we are going to support, so what do you guys expect? Miracles?

Originally posted by RussianNeuroMancer View Post
      There is no UVD and HDMI audio code yet?
      Rafał made quite a good job reverse engineering the HDMI support for evergreen, and we are currently trying to release at least the register documentation, so that this basic support can be cleaned up and extended.

And for UVD: There was already said to much, just because of a simple note about my schedule for the next weeks....

Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post
        Because of this, I just ordered a 7850 card.
        You are making my mistake, blowing money in the direction of careless pit.

A review of opensource driver running southern island gpu would be nice, basically the interesting points would be power consumptions(use AC socket measurement device) at full load, desktop work, idle; performance in quake engines/unigine/wine and quirks (using multimonitor, rendering errors, hangs etc). An open source from AMD is always with huge grain of salt.

Comment

Originally posted by Deathsimple View Post
          Well, thanks for the good summary, that was something worth reading. I really think we are going to make it faster this time, but hey it is only the second major generation we are going to support, so what do you guys expect? Miracles?

Rafał made quite a good job reverse engineering the HDMI support for evergreen, and we are currently trying to release at least the register documentation, so that this basic support can be cleaned up and extended.

And for UVD: There was already said to much, just because of a simple note about my schedule for the next weeks....

Christian.
          There is something I?d like to clear up, I don?t like how AMD does opensource, don?t like at all. But I absolutely appreciate your work guys, because without it AMD "effort" will stay completely on the ground. This does not mean Im buying AMD cards however, except AMD does its homework.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            "performance in quake engines"
            really who cares 200fps or 5000fps...
            No kidding. You could say that about 99% of the benchmarks Michael does, unfortunately.

They would be more intriguing if someone went to the trouble of figuring out exactly what these benchmarks are stressing - i know on the windows side Quake 3 games for a long time were only limited by how much memory bandwidth a card had available. Not sure if that's still the case or not. At least then we'd be able to look at these tests just like a microbenchmark to see what in particular in the driver is improving or needs improvement.

Comment

Originally posted by crazycheese View Post
              You are making my mistake, blowing money in the direction of careless pit.

A review of opensource driver running southern island gpu would be nice, basically the interesting points would be power consumptions(use AC socket measurement device) at full load, desktop work, idle; performance in quake engines/unigine/wine and quirks (using multimonitor, rendering errors, hangs etc). An open source from AMD is always with huge grain of salt.
              7850 would seem like an excellent card if you use most of your time in Linux with open source drivers and switch to another OS for occasional gaming. I only need the drivers to support desktop, video (xv is fine) and preferably at least basic power management.

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
                7850 would seem like an excellent card if you use most of your time in Linux with open source drivers and switch to another OS for occasional gaming. I only need the drivers to support desktop, video (xv is fine) and preferably at least basic power management.
                Those are the words of truth. However, even with Catalyst Linux desktop is quite usable.

Comment

Originally posted by agd5f View Post
                  OpenGL 3.0 is already supported with mesa from git master and the upcoming 3.4 kernel. Hiz support is almost complete and OpenCL support is already working for basic test apps.
                  Do you mean with kernel 3.4 mesa will advertise OpenGL 3.0 without exporting R600_GLSL130? Looking at the code I would say it's still required, just the R600_STREAMOUT went away.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
                    "performance in quake engines"
                    really who cares 200fps or 5000fps...

also unigine heaven is pointlesss only unigine oilrush is a good benchmark because its a real game!

sure wine wine benchmarks are important
                    Damn, I meant to say doom-engine benchmarks. Still got used to doom1-2 released much prior to quake, and then d3 much later than q3.
                    doom engine benchmarks.

Comment

Originally posted by Otus View Post
                      7850 would seem like an excellent card if you use most of your time in Linux with open source drivers and switch to another OS for occasional gaming.
                      No, never. Better I use VM, but I want to use linux without being forced by video card drivers into installing something I don?t want.

Comment

Working...
                      X