X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DaemonFC
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Nah, I personally just hate it when people remove legacy support too soon. Personally, I am still pissed that the X devs are removing all non KMS drivers. I figure it takes maybe one person to maintain, and everyone with a legacy card can be happy. Hell, if you think an old card is slow, how about the *CPU* on that old computer... XD
    They haven't ditched UMS drivers completely, Intel still uses UMS on some of their hardware which is ridiculous. (If Voodoo cards from 1998 can use KMS, why can't Intel cards that are only a few years old?). But that's Intel for you.

Even Fedora 17 still supports Intel UMS crap.

Aside from that? Why is it too soon to start talking about removing support for ancient legacy distributions that are so old, they date back to when Bush hadn't spent the US into poverty?

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
    I think someone does still use Lindows.
    Nah, I personally just hate it when people remove legacy support too soon. Personally, I am still pissed that the X devs are removing all non KMS drivers. I figure it takes maybe one person to maintain, and everyone with a legacy card can be happy. Hell, if you think an old card is slow, how about the *CPU* on that old computer... XD

Leave a comment:

• DaemonFC
    replied
    Originally posted by LinuxID10T View Post
    Dude, you just sound like an a$$hat who doesn't know $hit. If you want to troll some people go post pictures of animal abuse on 4chan or something
    I think someone does still use Lindows.

Leave a comment:

• LinuxID10T
    replied
    Originally posted by DaemonFC View Post
    Dear AMD,

Would it kill any of you idiots to update the documentation instead of shipping some that's 10 years old and lies about what Linux is and refers to Lindows and XFree86?

If you're going to ship this crap that's so outdated that it only serves to increase the download size and make you look retarded, please just strip all of it out. I don't think any of it even applies to a distribution newer than around 2002.
    Dude, you just sound like an a$$hat who doesn't know $hit. If you want to troll some people go post pictures of animal abuse on 4chan or something

Leave a comment:

• allquixotic
    replied
    Originally posted by foxfire View Post
    This driver seems to work but you get a "Testing use only" watermark.

Catalyst Version 12.4
    OpenGL Version 4.2.11627
    Driver Packaging Version 8.96-120315a-135397E

openSUSE 12.1 x86_64
    AMD Radeon 7950
    Search forum for "lolsed"

Leave a comment:

• foxfire
    replied
    Originally posted by fritsch View Post
    Anyone tried the 12.4 OpenCL beta for now?
    http://developer.amd.com/Downloads/O...iversLinux.tgz Version 8.96.0
    This driver seems to work but you get a "Testing use only" watermark.

Catalyst Version 12.4
    OpenGL Version 4.2.11627
    Driver Packaging Version 8.96-120315a-135397E

openSUSE 12.1 x86_64
    AMD Radeon 7950

Leave a comment:

• DaemonFC
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    Not sure... official support for 1.12 is in a later release (in beta now) but I don't know how much of the work made it into Cat 12.3.

You've probably noticed that the delay between X server release and fglrx support is steadily shrinking, but it's not zero yet, at least not for production drivers.
    Yes, but the ABI breakage hasn't been severe in any particular release in a while to the best of my knowledge, unless I've missed something. Recent X server releases have mostly been bug fixing and cleanup. Major new features seem to never land. If RandR 1.4 ever did land you could still just fudge like you do now and disable the server extension and load your own older one.

I'm not seeing really why Ubuntu is softballing you guys except to encourage you to make life for other distributions harder since the pressure is off to fix up FGLRX for another 6 months.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    Not sure... official support for 1.12 is in a later release (in beta now) but I don't know how much of the work made it into Cat 12.3.

You've probably noticed that the delay between X server release and fglrx support is steadily shrinking, but it's not zero yet, at least not for production drivers.
    Last edited by bridgman; 23 March 2012, 10:44 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DaemonFC
    replied
    Originally posted by bridgman View Post
    It may not be obvious, but old distros are a big part of the workstation business. RHEL 4.x support was a priority until very recently.
    So is there any chance at all that this would work with the current stable X server? I'm guessing no since you usually don't.

Leave a comment:

• bridgman
    replied
    It may not be obvious, but old distros are a big part of the workstation business. RHEL 4.x support was a priority until very recently.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X