No announcement yet.

AMD Is Still Struggling With HD 7000 On Catalyst

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I just ordered a Radeon HD 7950 after getting tired of AMD to send any GCN hardware over.... More info next week.
    Michael Larabel
    https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
      Well I just ordered a Radeon HD 7950 after getting tired of AMD to send any GCN hardware over.... More info next week.
      can we know the price? it doesn't matter if you put a link. It cost in my country (Argentina) 730 - 820 USD

a friend have just sold his 7950 (I'm jocking)
      Last edited by DINAMIK; 02 March 2012, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DINAMIK View Post
        can we know the price? it doesn't matter if you put a link. It cost in my country (Argentina) 730 - 820 USD

a friend have just sold his 7950 (I'm jocking)

480 USD price.
        Michael Larabel
        https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          They don't have an open-source vision. It's just that they had so much trouble providing Linux support, they hope the OSS community will do the job for them.
          ..and then they hire the more active community developers who aren't already employed and put them on payroll. That's an important detail you conveniently left out..

Just like nazi Germany, they're now fighting on two fronts and losing on both
          You just lost. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law

Comment

I will take AMD over Intel and nVidia anyday. Intel are liars and cheats that make Microsoft look like angels, and Nvidia does not support OSS at all. AMD have put their money where their mouth is by releasing specs and docs for their hardware and paying people to work on OSS drivers, not to mention AMD's great work with the OPEN64 compiler project.

And the PS4 will be an all AMD system...

Comment

Basically amd should send me their latest hardware for free to test the drivers, but i only get it sometimes by other ppl who do not need it anymore.

@bridgman

do you have got any spare cards flying around at your office? i would also test piledriver or something else that beats my i7 cpus.

Comment

Originally posted by johnc View Post
                So when nvidia releases kepler later this year, what are the chances that linux support is available from the get-go?
                I'd bet it's already in place in the current 295 release ...

Comment

Now if that topic doesn't offer a perfect template for flaming and trolling.

I don't blame AMD for not having 1st day free drivers support since esp. the SI is a new architecture and needs more new code. Of course fglrx/Cat. devs will face similar problems. Still you should have working drivers before you bring something to the market. But then, it might also be a matter of card manufacturers if they change too many things then it's not just adding pci ids for all the boards.
                  But as long as a SI chip is not integral part of a complete system (say a mini ITX mainboard for example) then one could still just wait with buying a dedicated card until it is correctly supported.
                  In my case I bought a HD5xxx series instead of a HD6xxx one because the free driver support at that time was already better for the 5xxx. Adopting always the newest tech is something that most of us "have in their blood" but then one also has to live with the downsides.
                  I guess there is no enterprise in the whole tech business that makes a perfect start with a new product these days. You launch it under pressure and there is always some fallout coming later when it hits the real world. So maybe it is a good idea for the normal person to take 2nd newest generation when buying something new. (It's also often more affordable).

Regarding the test item: I dunno but maybe since AMD cut (had to cut?) some employment in the esp. marketing area , maybe that affected the system with test card distribution also?

my German Aunt Edith says:
                  Speaking of new tech: I want A68M on miniITX mainboards with E-350/450 naoww! *screams and rolls on the floor and hits it with fists like a small angry child*
                  Last edited by Adarion; 03 March 2012, 04:13 AM.
                  Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    ..and then they hire the more active community developers who aren't already employed and put them on payroll. That's an important detail you conveniently left out..
                    Since the day 0 support is not there yet, exactly how is this important? I'm buying video cards here, not good intentions.

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                    Wow, you've got a quote! Do you even know what I was talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                      Since the day 0 support is not there yet, exactly how is this important?
                      You were talking about open-source planning/vision, not day 0 support. AMD never said open-source day 0 support was part of their plan (but Catalyst support was supposed to be).

Do you even know what I was talking about?
                      Of course, but that doesn't change the fact that you compared video card drivers to Nazi war strategy...

Comment

Working...
                      X