Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Is Still Struggling With HD 7000 On Catalyst

Phoronix: AMD Is Still Struggling With HD 7000 On Catalyst

While most Linux enthusiasts know by now that there still isn't open-source Radeon HD 7000 series support from AMD under Linux, the Catalyst situation isn't so clear. While they've been committed to launch-day Catalyst hardware enablement under Windows and Linux, for the penguin OS that doesn't seem to always be the case for the HD 7000 series...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A firm with close to a 10000 employees...
    Has a open source vision and official comittment.
    Yet struggles to provide a working linux driver.

So close.

Comment

Based up their real actions, it is pretty simple:

They DONT want YOU TO BUY THEIR cards.

what a shame

Comment

Well, it's a completely new architecture with a new code base (in theory, it could end up with less bugs than the 2xxx-6xxx generation).

Catalyst 12.2 is released next monday and Catalyst 12.3 is also not far away - coming March, 21st.

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
          Well, it's a completely new architecture with a new code base.
          It might be. To us, user, though.
          I almost can hear them in Catalyst linux team:

"Mother of cards! Where did this one come from?
          Better get our driver shit together and start some
          typin'n'shit. Wish guys from ingenoioueering told
          us sooner 'bout this mud-a-fakhur. Tee-hee "

Comment

Originally posted by d2kx View Post
            Catalyst 12.2 is released next monday and Catalyst 12.3 is also not far away - coming March, 21st.
            hope so

is hard to understand the actions taken by amd... I mean... launch a product that you cannot use, is the worst way that you can follow. Actually, the linux support is the worst that you can find in all and this is not an exception. Dont forget that they couldn't make work the X2 3870 in linux so I guess that's is the point why amd does not release x2 cards anymore...

I was wondering what will be the nvidia reponse... as I can see, a very serious enterprise.

Comment

My understanding was that the 8.291 link I posted here (to a KB page on amd.com) included 77xx support. I haven't checked the IDs but if anyone sees a problem please post back here.
              Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by DINAMIK View Post
                hope so

is hard to understand the actions taken by amd... I mean... launch a product that you cannot use, is the worst way that you can follow. Actually, the linux support is the worst that you can find in all and this is not an exception. Dont forget that they couldn't make work the X2 3870 in linux so I guess that's is the point why amd does not release x2 cards anymore...

I was wondering what will be the nvidia reponse... as I can see, a very serious enterprise.
                The X2 cards are now the HD5970 Hemlock XT, HD6990 Antilles and HD7990 New Zealand.

Comment

Originally posted by clavko View Post
                  Has a open source vision and official comittment.
                  They don't have an open-source vision. It's just that they had so much trouble providing Linux support, they hope the OSS community will do the job for them. I don't think that's inherently bad, but the effort seems to be going nowhere: the OSS community does not even aim to plan the latest hardware or provide top-performance.
                  At the end of the day, AMD seems to have the worst of both worlds. They don't have to OSS engagement of intel, to allow them to ditch Catalyst for Linux entirely. And they don't have the solid blobs of nvidia, to allow them to ditch the open source driver. Just like nazi Germany, they're now fighting on two fronts and loosing on both

NB: I do not think AMD are nazi, I have a lot of respect for them. But I am saddened that for many years now, I haven't found a single product to buy from them. And that's after owning Athlon XP 1600+, 2500+, Athlon64 3500+, X2 4200+. And a Radeon 8500. Video cards are off the table for me, because of Linux support. Intel takes care of the rest since Core2Duo.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                    But I am saddened that for many years now, I haven't found a single product to buy from them. And that's after owning Athlon XP 1600+, 2500+, Athlon64 3500+, X2 4200+. And a Radeon 8500. Video cards are off the table for me, because of Linux support. Intel takes care of the rest since Core2Duo.
                    Honestly, I'm perfectly fine with owning AMD... The X6 1055T and Radeon 6850 that I've got work wonderfully. Gnome 3 on Ubuntu + Windows 7 for games. I've been using the OSS driver in Linux since I bought my Radeon 4850, then a 4770, a few integrated 780G/785G chips, and my work machine has a 5450. My Llano HTPC runs wonderfully with the open-source driver. All of these machines are stable as a rock, and multi-monitor support works great at work.

The only things that I am really wanting the OSS drivers to advance on is OpenCL support, power management, and better Wine compatibility for games (Assuming that Wine isn't breaking the specs, which it probably does given that it was written solely against Nvidia's drivers originally) in that order.

Comment

Working...
                    X