Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Rising Linux Usage Share = Increasing AMD Open Source Driver Development?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the number of developers were really based on the market share, you would have to dismiss people when the market share of operating system X or Y sinks

Comment

The thread-maker has a drastic language but he has kind of a point

First I will thank you (AMD) much for the good work you do with the radeon driver and releaseing of specifications. I also think, that its not only the responsibility of amd to work alone on the driver (I dont know how much people help you out there)

But I totaly agree to the fgrlx vs radeon point. In the speed you made the fgrlx driver better in the last years, the driver would take 10 years to make it happen. So, if I you would not provide the free driver I would just not buy AMD.

So you really think that someone who wants to use the fglrx driver under linux would buy a AMD Card, I mean shure there are people who buy the AMD card because under Windows they become maybe more fps per buck and they therefore accept on there dual-boot system that the fglrx driver is slower and more buggy than the nvidia driver.

So now something strange happens, I see it critical, but the nouvou driver seems to become good, if it happens that this driver becomes better or only same good as the free driver of amd, who would buy a amd card anymore if he wants to use it under linux?

So dont let take your only and good selling argument for your cards under linux!

So its clear if you want to have more fps/bucks and dont care about free software (in comparsion to opensource and only because linux is technicaly interesting) you go for nvidia and if you care about free software you buy a amd card. Are the AMD people to stupid to see why people buy their cards for linux?

Or is your target market, the dualbooters which accepts a less good driver because their main os is windows? So you try to support windows users with this drivers too? So we have to add the effort about fgrlx driver to the windows world effort? So if you count that in the way I did just now, you really pay very less people to make real linux drivers for linux-only users in comparsion to the people who make drivers for windows people.

I hope you excuse my english but I think I have a point here, and I hope for AMD that they change their policy here a bit because I like amd and I think they will make more money if they act like that.

Again I am shocked when I see the nouvou driver come close to the quality of the radeon driver when nvidia dont supports that work with 1 cent. Not even with free specs. I had my small amount of money a few years in amd shares. So I am talking not as a guy who just wants good drivers for me, I care a bit about AMD because I am thankful that you made that step to support free drivers.

Comment

Originally posted by blackiwid View Post
        [...]
        So now something strange happens, I see it critical, but the nouvou driver seems to become good, if it happens that this driver becomes better or only same good as the free driver of amd, who would buy a amd card anymore if he wants to use it under linux?
        [...]
        why do you think that the Noveau driver is almost as good as the open radeon driver?

Does the Noveau driver even have Gallium 3D support yet? You must have a good source. Please provide a link. Maybe you know a source where it lists all the features the Noveau driver has yet. Maybe a list like that but for the Noveau driver. I used ixquick but the things I found, really didn't convince me of the Noveau driver.

Comment

Does the Noveau driver even have Gallium 3D support yet?
          There is no such thing as a 'driver having Gallium3D support'. It's not a feature that you support. A driver _IS_ a Gallium driver or not. Gallium describes the architecture used to write the driver.

Nouveau is a Gallium driver.

Comment

Google founds me that when I search gallium3d and nouveau:

I mean yes radeon is further but they are more close without any support of nvidia here the feature matrix:

the basic stuff inclusive xv works (for fluently videos) also exa (fast 2d accelleration) even some 3d stuff works. But yes radeon driver is gladly a good step ahead, but soooo much more does the radeon driver not do.

But ok the 3d speed really really sucks in comparsion the radeon driver is a roadrunner:

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Comment

[...]
              I mean yes radeon is further but they are more close without any support of nvidia here the feature matrix:

the basic stuff inclusive xv works (for fluently videos) also exa (fast 2d accelleration) even some 3d stuff works. But yes radeon driver is gladly a good step ahead, but soooo much more does the radeon driver not do.
              [...]
              ok thank you for the FeatureMatrix source. If my next graphic unit is not on a AMD APU (which it probably will be), I might even consider buying a nVidia card.

Comment

Google founds me that when I search gallium3d and nouveau:

But ok the 3d speed really really sucks in comparsion the radeon driver is a roadrunner:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...31_fermi&num=2
                The speed problems with nouveau are mostly an issue with setting up the cards clockspeeds correctly. They default to a much lower speed than they are capable of, and the power management code to clock them up is very experimental currently.

The real issue with nouveau is all the cards that are buggy. If you have the same card that one of the devs is using it tends to work pretty well, but if you have a model that they aren't working on there are tons of bugs all over. The radeon driver is much better at keeping a consistent quality across all their hardware.

Comment

yes ok I did not know about the status that detailed before I googled it yesterday that exactly. But the issues look like they could all be on radeon state in 1.5 years, except the 3d speed, there I cannot really give timeline how long it takes to make it as fast as the radeon driver. But lets face it the 3d speed of radeon is good enough for compiz or mutter but nearly for nothing else whats used today. ok some old-gen games.

So yes all around 3d is importent right now, so again at that point I think in 1.5 years nouveau is nearly there where radeon is today and I see not much happen with the radeon driver in this time, but tell me different and I am happy.

Just with gallium3d more code gets hardware-independent so to have here a advantage becomes more different in the future.

Comment

Nouveau is not as stable as Radeon; it breaks more often. The developers often have to guess how hardware works as docs are not available.

Comment

Working...
                    X