No announcement yet.

Bettering Radeon Gallium3D Performance With PCI-E 2.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

unfortunately the vast majority of the users do not care about the "free speech" if there is the "free beer".
    They don't care about Free speech at all. They rather even pay for the beer. Not because they don't think it's better, they just care about other things more.

It's the same with everything. We all know, that 'green' is better for everyone, the planet, personal health etc. Yet we don't care enough (this has changed a little in recent years).

Very very sad, but very very true.

Comment

Originally posted by darkbasic View Post
      I would be glad if AMD will drop catalyst for linux and shift 50 developers to mesa...
      And they probably would if it made sense. But since Linux' graphics stack is a moving target, what would that accomplish? Plus, they'd still have to maintain Catalyst for Windows anyway.
      For all the good things OSS does, there's an equal amount of ego that makes sure developers will never agree on a standard solution. And this is the reason OSS can't penetrate certain markets.

Comment

How do I put this command when booting the kernel?

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
          And they probably would if it made sense. But since Linux' graphics stack is a moving target, what would that accomplish? Plus, they'd still have to maintain Catalyst for Windows anyway.
          I'm not sure if it's legally-possible, but a shared FOSS driver stack on Windows might help AMD too. The Linux graphics stack is a moving target but, AFAIK, Gallium should do fairly well in terms of OS abstraction. They'd just need to make releases, i.e. pick, compile and bundle the various bits and pieces like distros do, while offloading some of the coding burden to the community (including the Linux people for the common parts).

The problem is the FOSS stack is behind Catalyst in terms of features and performance and I'm not sure anybody has done that work for Windows, which is quite a disincentive at the moment.

Comment

This has been addressed before, but the closed source driver has a completely different coding style and kernel/userspace interfaces. Most of the code would have to be completely rewritten before it had even a remote chance of making it upstream. There are plenty of OS-agnostic drivers out there (realtek, etc.) who release common shaded code for all OSes and it never gets merged upstream because the coding styles don't match or the driver uses it's own infrastructure for certain things rather than some common infrastructure provided by the kernel. It's not really feasible to redesign the entire closed source driver (much of which is planned years in advance as new chips and initiatives are planned) just so it could be shared more easily with open source. The market for open source drivers just isn't big enough.

And before you reply, yes, I know, chicken and egg.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
              And they probably would if it made sense.
              They don't and they will never because:

1) Peoples do not care.
              2) Catalyst is made of share code for the 90% of it and the linux team is very little (20? 30? maybe even 50 peoples?) because of that, those developers alone wouldn't be able to develop a competitive stack because the shared part is made by thousands of developers.

Peoples will care about free software only if someone will find a way to stop piracy, when they will have to pay 600$ for a microsoft office suite plus another 600$ for a retail copy of windows just because someone sent them a fucked .doc (or whatever they call it in office 20${XY}) something will change.
              ## VGA ##
              AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
              Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

2) Catalyst is made of share code for the 90% of it and the linux team is very little (20? 30? maybe even 50 peoples?) because of that, those developers alone wouldn't be able to develop a competitive stack because the shared part is made by thousands of developers.
                Exactly. That's the primary reason proprietary drivers exist at all for open OSes -- they let you share code with proprietary OSes and as a consequence deliver a lot more functionality and performance than the same number of developers could provide in a separate code base.
                Test signature

Comment

So what are the plans for using pcie_gen2=1 by default? Couldn't the incompatible motherboards be blacklisted instead of turning it off for everyone?

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
                    Exactly. That's the primary reason proprietary drivers exist at all for open OSes -- they let you share code with proprietary OSes and as a consequence deliver a lot more functionality and performance than the same number of developers could provide in a separate code base.
                    galium3d is supposed to do the same -share code among OSes- but i haven't seen anyone jumping on it and releasing an FOSS driver for all OSes

too big of a change i assume but anyway

Comment

Peoples will care about free software only if someone will find a way to stop piracy, when they will have to pay 600$ for a microsoft office suite plus another 600$ for a retail copy of windows just because someone sent them a fucked .doc (or whatever they call it in office 20${XY}) something will change.
                      But companies generally care about that sort of legal stuff. I do wonder why exactly FOSS adoption isn't all that commonplace in companies, even partial adoption (e.g. some free office suite on Windows), especially when your employees don't have specific requirements. It could be MS gives you a better TCO/risk, it could be free stuff indeed has some rough edges or it could be management isn't comfortable with saying "no, ask for documents in a non-proprietary format from your contacts/customers". In any case, I guess it's easy to conclude proprietary software is the way to go and not give it a second thought, since it obviously worked out for many others.

Comment

Working...
                      X